Lordship Title of Ashampstead (Vernon) ID1352

Title Type:
Previous Lords:
This moiety of Ashampstead descended with that of Basildon until 1542, when Richard Bridges and Joan his wife conveyed the manor of Ashampstead to William Fettiplace and Elizabeth his wife. Nicholas Fettiplace, their son and heir, held the manor at his death in 1572, leaving a daughter Anne under age, who married Edmund Dunch and died in 1627. The manor is next found in possession of Dr. William Twisse, Prolocutor of the Westminster Assembly of Divines, who in 1646 devised it to be sold for his children. In 1657 Thomas Parsons and others conveyed it to Sir William Playtors and his heirs and Sir Robert Pye. The Sayer family held it afterwards, probably when Robert Sayer acquired the rectory and part of the advowson in 1667. Susan Sayer, widow, and Elizabeth Sayer, spinster, were joint owners in 1747, when they conveyed by fine the 'manor of Pyt House Farm in Ashampstead,' with the rectory, to Peter Birt, this being apparently a moiety of the manor of Ashampstead. From the Sayers the manor and the rectory passed by a female heir to the Gills. Thomas Gill and Elizabeth his wife were part owners with Susan Sayer in 1755, when they conveyed Pyt House to William Billinghurst. A subdivision followed, and in 1788 Peter Gill purchased one-fifth of the manor and rectory from Weston Helyar and Elizabeth his wife. In 1796 a 'moiety of the manor of Ashampstead' (presumably as distinct from Pyt House) was conveyed by Sir William Henry Clerke, bart., and Byzantia his wife to Francis Pym and others. The Gills held the manor about forty years. They lived at Pyt House, which appears to have been the manorhouse of the northern moiety. At the close of the 18th century they sold it to John Hopkins of Tidmarsh (q.v.), who acquired the whole manor. After the death of his grandson Robert John Hopkins, in 1899, Ashampstead Common, with the manorial rights, was sold, without Pyt House (q.v.), to Herbert Watney, M.D., of Buckhold in Bradfield (q.v.). Childs Court, sold in 1893 to the late Alfred Waterhouse of Yattendon Court, and given by him to his younger son Amyas Theodore Waterhouse, was probably the manor-house of the southern moiety.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:

of pages