Lordship Title of Aston Danvers or Aston Tirrold ID1354

County:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
Possibly it was to Torold son of Geoffrey, father of the Nicholas holding in 1166, that Aston Tirrold owes its name. Certainly Nicholas son of Torold de Aston, and possibly his father before him, was immediate tenant of the manor under the Earls of Warwick. Nicholas had brothers, Richard, who may have succeeded to this holding, and Miles, who certainly did so. Apparently these brothers left no heirs male, and the manor afterwards followed the descent of Wokefield in Stratfield Mortimer (q.v.) until 1241, when it was permanently divided between Robert Danvers and Margery wife of Alan de Farnham and co-heir of Nicholas de Bolney. In consideration of the surrender of Wokefield Robert agreed to do to the co-heirs of Nicholas de Bolney the service which he had formerly done directly to the Earl of Warwick. There is record of the service due from the Danvers portion to the descendants of Alan and Margery in 1336. The lands of Robert Danvers, described in 1331 as the manor of ASTON DANVERS, ultimately descended to William Danvers, who made settlement of the manor in 1427 upon himself for life with remainder to his wife Joan. Upon her death it was to be sold for deeds of charity. In 1457 Joan widow of William Danvers conveyed her interest to William Bishop of Winchester, but the reversionary rights had been purchased for 200 marks by William de la Pole, Marquess, afterwards Duke, of Suffolk, whose widow Alice with her son John, the second duke, had a release of his right in it from John Jankins of Reading, fuller, probably a trustee, on 26 March 1458. By the attainder of Edmund third duke and eighth Earl of Suffolk in January 1503–4 Aston Danvers fell to the Crown and was for a time in the custody of Anthony Fettiplace, squire of the body to Henry VIII, and afterwards of William Compton. It was evidently accounted a member of Donnington, which was granted to Charles Brandon in February 1513–14, when he was created Duke of Suffolk. He sold his right in the manor to the Crown in 1535. In 1554 it was purchased, together with the manor of Aston Priors, by Thomas Everard of Buckland and Richard Yate of East Longworth, his brother-in-law. In 1577 Thomas Stampe bought both manors from John Yate, evidently the heir of Richard, and Thomas Everard, probably the son of Thomas. Thomas Stampe also acquired a third estate in Aston, formerly Cheneys, and a portion of tithes in the parish. He died on 18 July 1579 and was succeeded by his son Edward. John Stampe, probably the brother and heir of Edward, was dealing with these manors early in 1605. Either this John or another settled the estate on his daughter Dorothy upon her marriage, about 1610, with Sir Henry Sambourne, kt., of Moulsford, who had a grant of view of frankpledge 21 June 1616. In 1649 Sambourne, with his son Henry, conveyed the manors of Aston Tirrold to Richard Mansner and George Hatton, but he was still dealing with them in 1650. A moiety of the estate was, however, in the possession of the Hatton family early in the 18th century, and the other moiety, possibly representing the interest of Richard Mansner, was in the White family. In 1716 Richard Hatton and his wife Eleanor were dealing with two messuages and lands and a moiety of a messuage and certain other property in Aston Tirrold and Moulsford, including a common ferry across the Thames. Richard Hatton joined with William Hatton, Henry Predy and his wife Dorothy, Dorothy Predy, spinster, and Richard and John Fuller, in a conveyance of the 'manor of Aston Tirrold' to Cornelius Norton, 1727, possibly for the purposes of a settlement. Subsequently one moiety was in the possession of Thomas Fuller and the other of Joseph and John Fuller. At the close of the 19th century the whole had passed into the possession of Thomas Wellingham Fuller, grandson of the above-named Thomas Fuller, and he sold in 1901 to Mr. Francis John Kynaston Cross, the present lord.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages