Lordship Title of Battle ID1367

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The manor of BATTLE, in the parish of St. Mary and St. Lawrence, Reading, was possibly part of the estate owned by Battle Abbey in Reading at the date of the Survey. The name Bellum is found in a document of about the reign of Edward III, and Batal Lane is mentioned in 1427 and again in 1432. The property afterwards formed part of the estates of Reading Abbey. Hugh last Abbot of Reading granted Battle in 1532 to Christopher Butler, yeoman, of Reading, for fifty years. It is mentioned in a Court Roll of 1549 as one of the manors of Reading Hundred; in 1539 the rents and customs due from it amounted to £6 8s. 10d. (fn. 42) After the dissolution of the abbey it is said to have been in the hands of Edward Duke of Somerset, (fn. 43) but the only grant on record is one to John Dudley Earl of Warwick, afterwards Duke of Northumberland, in 1550. (fn. 44) By his attainder, two years later, Battle came to the Crown, and in the reign of Philip and Mary it was granted to a certain John Matthews, who granted it to Sir Francis Englefield, by whose attainder in 1585 it again reverted to the Crown. Queen Elizabeth leased the site of the manor to Sir Francis Knollys in 1595, (fn. 45) and on his death in the following year he left his interest in it to his son Francis, the founder of the younger branch of the Knollys family, which played an important part in Reading in the 17th century. The Knollys family is usually spoken of as owning Battle, but it seems probable that the property held by them was the capital messuage, whilst the manor came to certain citizens of London, to whom James I in return for grants of money granted Battle for ninety-nine years; the interest passed to William Williams and others, and finally by Letters Patent to Capt. Edward Ditchfield and others, trustees for the corporation of London. It seems that somewhat later the Knollys family acquired possession of the manor. When the direct line came to an end in the person of Sir Francis Knollys, who died in 1772, his heir Francis Prankard, who took the name of Knollys, succeeded to his property. Francis Lord Cottington, who died in 1652, held lands in the manor of Battle, which he may have acquired from Ditchfield and the other trustees.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
Yes

of pages