Lordship Title of Bealmes or Beaumys ID1368

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The manor of BEAUMYS (Beams, xiv cent.; Bealmes, xvi cent.), which is sometimes stated to be in Shinfield, sometimes in Swallowfield, and belonged in part at least to Wiltshire, was held under the Earls of Warwick by the family of Despenser. Geoffrey le Despenser was holding half a knight's fee of the Earl of Warwick in Swallowfield in the first half of the 13th century. He died about 1251, in which year Emma, his widow, gave 400 marks for the wardship of her son John, Geoffrey's heir. John afterwards married Joan, the daughter and heir of Robert de Lou, and died childless in 1275, leaving as his heir his kinsman Hugh, the son of Hugh le Despenser the Justiciar, then fourteen years old. In 1300 Hugh obtained from Edward I a grant of free warren in his demesne lands in Beaumys. He was the elder of the two favourites of Edward II, and during his disgrace in 1322 Beaumys, like many others of his manors, was raided by the Mortimers. After Hugh's death and attainder in 1327 the manor was given by Edward III to his treasurer, Adam Orlton, then Bishop of Hereford, for life. Orlton, however, surrendered the grant in 1335, after his translation to Winchester, in favour of Nicholas de la Beche of Aldworth, to hold to him and his heirs as fully as Hugh le Despenser Earl of Winchester had held it. In 1339 Nicholas obtained from the king a licence to crenellate his house at Beaumys. he died childless in 1346, leaving a widow Margery, who married Gerard de Lisle and seems to have held Beaumys in dower. In April 1347 John de Dalton broke into the castle 'on the sacred day of Good Friday, without reverence for God, Holy Church or the King, and to the terror of the King's son Lionel, who was staying there and the rest of the royal children with him,' and carried off Margery by force. Edward III thereupon took Beaumys into his own hands, and it was afterwards granted to Edmund de la Beche, Archdeacon of Berkshire, brother of Nicholas, for life, with reversion to heirs of Nicholas. On Edmund's death the manor accordingly passed to the co-heirs of his brother, namely, John Fitz Elys, grandson of Isabel, daughter of John de la Beche, and the sons of her sisters Alice and Joan, Edmund Danvers and Andrew Sackvile. John Fitz Elys died in 1395, leaving as his heir his son John, who in 1420 bought the Danvers' portion of the manor from William son of Edmund Danvers. The subsequent descent of these two-thirds is difficult to trace, but it is possible that, like the Fitz Elys' manor of Waterperry (co. Oxon.), they passed to Lambert Forster. In 1481 they were in the possession of Piers Marmion of Thame, who had married Joan daughter and co-heir of Edmund Forster; he sold them with the consent of Robert and John his sons to Sir William Stonore. They seem to have been conveyed by Stonore to Walter Elmes and Anne his wife, from whom they were bought in 1496 by Sir William Capell. The remaining third of the manor was granted in 1365 by Andrew Sackvile to Thomas Hancepe and Ralph de Rastwold, the latter of whom shortly afterwards obtained a quitclaim from his coparcener. He seems to have sold it before his death in 1383 to John Chitterne, clerk, who was seised of it in 1409. Chitterne left two sisters and co-heirs, one of whom Agnes, the widow of William Milbourne, received his estate in Beaumys as part of her inheritance. She left a son Richard Milbourne, who died seised of a third of Beaumys in 1451, and was succeeded by his son Simon. Sir Thomas Milbourne, Simon's son and heir, died in 1492, leaving the estate to his son Henry, who sold it in 1507 to Sir William Capell, the owner of the other two-thirds. Sir William left the whole manor by his will to Edward Capell, the younger son of his son Giles, whose descendant Arthur Lord Capell sold it in 1642 to Thomas Woodcock of Diddenham Court. It had been acquired by one of the Danvers family before 1708 when Elizabeth Danvers, widow, and Samuel Danvers were dealing with it. In 1743 Joseph Danvers sold it to Henry Lannoy Hunter. It remained in the Hunter family (see Sheepbridge), and is now the property of Mrs. Hunter.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages