Lordship Title of Britens or Grove ID1036

County:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The manor of BRITENS alias GROVE MANOR, as stated above, has its origin in a portion of the 5 hides in Houghton held by Hugh de Beauchamp in 1086. By the time of the Testa de Nevill this portion had come into the hands of William Briton and was then assessed at 1½ hides. William Briton was still in possession of the property in 1284–6, and a successor and namesake held it in 1346 by service of one-fifth of a knight's fee. A member of the same family, John Briton, died in 1390 seised of the manor, which was at this date stated to be in the custody of the king owing to the said John being non compos mentis. John Briton's heir was his sister Margaret, the wife of William Wenlock. Her son and heir Sir John Wenlock was returned to Parliament for Bedfordshire in 1433, 1436, 1445, 1447 and 1449. At first a partisan of the house of Lancaster, he became a Yorkist after the battle of Northampton, and six years later was created Baron Wenlock by Edward IV. Afterwards, however, having once more attached himself to the Lancastrian cause, he was slain at the battle of Tewkesbury, and his property passed into the king's hands. This manor, with other property, was six years later granted by Edward IV to Thomas Rotherham, Archbishop of York. Sir Thomas Rotherham, nephew of the above, died seised of the manor in 1504. His son Sir Thomas Rotherham settled it on his son Thomas on the occasion of his marriage with Alice Wellesford in 1535–6. Thomas the younger predeceased his father, and left a widow and two sons, Thomas—who was non compos mentis—and George. His widow took for her second husband Ralf Astry, and enjoyed the profits of the manor until her death in 1561. She was succeeded by her second son George, who suffered a recovery of the manor in 1568, preparatory to alienating it to Thomas Clarke of Stevenage. The latter granted it to his second son Edward in 1570. He was succeeded by his younger brother Christopher, who died in 1580 while still a minor and in ward to the queen. Another brother Francis then succeeded, who rose to considerable importance in the county, being high sheriff in 1623, in which year also he was knighted by the king on the high road between Bletsoe and Castle Ashby. His heir was his daughter Dorothy, the wife of Sir Edmund Wylde. This manor remained in the hands of the Wylde family for the next hundred years, but between the years 1729 and 1742 it had become the property of Thomas Hurley, who by his will dated 16 July 1742 left it to his brother-in-law Isaac Hughes. From the latter it was purchased by John Potter, Archbishop of Canterbury, who left it by will to his second son Thomas Potter, wit, politician and associate of Wilkes. Thomas Potter died in 1759, and was succeeded by his son Thomas, who was lord of the manor in 1761. The latter died without issue, and his property passed to his half-sister, whose husband, Dr. Malcolm MacQueen, was in enjoyment of it in 1810. In 1820 Dr. MacQueen alienated the manor to Thomas Mills and Robert Campbell. The land, which formerly was parcel of this manor, is now in the possession of Mr. F. J. Thynne.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
Yes

of pages