Lordship Title of Cresswelld or Craswells or Philberds or Philberts ID1435

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The manor of CRESSWELL or PHILBERDS (Creswell, xiii cent.; Craswelle, Karswell in Bray, Bray St. Philibert, xiv cent.; St. Phylyberts, xv cent.; Filberts, Creswells, Filburds, xvii cent.) belonged in 1208 to Roger de St. Philibert, who granted it in that year to Hugh de St. Philibert, apparently his brother. It was valued at £12 16s. 4d. at the death of a Hugh de St. Philibert in 1248, and was said in 1276 to be held by the serjeanty of providing the king with one boucel of wine. Hugh was succeeded by his son and namesake, who was then twenty-four, but had not yet been knighted. The date of his death is uncertain; possibly he lived until 1304, but it seems more likely that the Hugh who died in that year was his son. This Hugh inherited Sulham from his mother Euphemia and after 1279 he leased from the Crown various pieces of land in Windsor Forest, which were granted rent free to his son John by Edward III in 1329. In 1317 John de St. Philibert obtained free warren in Cresswell, and in 1329 view of frankpledge in his manor of Bray, and two years later he had licence to settle it on his son John and Joan the daughter of Robert de Ufford on the occassion of their marriage. The elder John de St. Philibert seems to have died in Gascony about 1333, and was succeeded by his son and namesake, then only six years old. This John, when in Italy on a pilgrimage with Robert de Bradestan and his squire William Datchet in 1345, was 'unjustly and unreasonably arrested in the city of Pisa.' There they remained prisoners for more than two years in spite of the efforts of Sir Thomas de Bradestan, Robert's father, who persuaded Edward III to cause all the merchants of Pisa and Lucca then in England to be arrested and kept safely in the Tower of London and other castles until they had obtained the release of the three Englishmen. Bradestan and St. Philibert returned to England in August 1347, and the latter proved his age a few months later. He sold the manor of Cresswell in 1352 to Edward III. Shortly afterwards the king granted it in frankalmoign to the warden and college of St. George's Chapel, Windsor, in whose possession it remained until 1649, when the Parliamentary commissioners sold it to Edward Curle and Richard Spencer. Curle and Spencer leased it in 1652 to Thomas and Peregrine Wilcox, who continued to hold it on lease after the Restoration, when the Dean and Canons of Windsor recovered their land. During the 18th century it was held of them by the Meeke family, who sold their lease about 1780 to Mr. Fuller. His descendants held it for almost a century, being still the tenants in 1860, when the manor was bought from the dean and canons by Mr. Charles Pascoe Grenfell, whose grandson Lord Desborough is the present owner.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages