Lordship Title of Easthampstead ID1464

Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The manor of EASTHAMPSTEAD was held in 1086 by Westminster Abbey. It was then assessed at 5 hides, formerly at 10 hides, and was worth 50s., but in the Confessor's time 100s. In the 13th century Richard Abbot of Westminster (1223–36) granted the manor at farm to the Prior of Hurley (a cell to Westminster) at a yearly rent of 100s. In 1276 it was returned that the Abbot of Westminster had gallows and assize of bread and ale and pleas of namio vetito at Easthampstead, and in 1285 the Prior of Hurley claimed pleas of namio vetito under a charter of Henry III. In the 14th century differences arose between the prior and the inhabitants of Easthampstead regarding the rights of herbage, pannage and turbary, when the prior allowed the claim of the inhabitants. After the dissolution of Hurley Priory in 1536 the manor followed the descent of Hurley Manor (q.v.). In 1561 William brother of John Lovelace alienated a purparty of the manor to William Gretam, who a few months later transferred it to Sir Richard Rede. In 1583 Innocent and Elizabeth Rede, with Alexander and Ann Wildgoose, alienated it to John Wildgoose the younger. In 1591 John Wildgoose, sen., and John Wildgoose, jun., conveyed the manor to John Rotheram, a clerk of the Chancery Court, probably in trust for Sir William Willoughby, who in 1614 conveyed it to Sir Richard Lovelace of Hurley. It descended to John third Lord Lovelace, who had to part with the manor in 1673 to Richard Johnson of Reading, who in 1682 conveyed it to William Stephens and John Oldbury, possibly in trust for John Doncastle, who sold it in 1696 to Sir William Trumbull, already owner of Easthampstead Park, from which date it follows the descent of that manor (q.v.).
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:

of pages