Lordship Title of Elington ID1472

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The manor of ELINGTON was held in 1086 by Ghilo de Pinkney, under whom were two tenants Hugh and Landri. The manor was held of the manor of Moreton Pinkney (co. Northants). The shares of the under-tenants were in the 13th century in the hands of Henry de Elington and William de Coleworth. William de Elington was holding the first share in 1341. Richard de Coleworth conveyed his share to John de London, who granted it for the term of their lives to Peter Folliott and Agnes his wife. Peter and Agnes gave the remainder of their term to John le Despenser, nephew and eventual heir of John de London, to whom John de London also granted his rights before his death in 1306. John son of John le Despenser was holding in 1341, and apparently died in the same year, as licence was then granted to his widow Margaret for an oratory in her 'manse' in Cookham. Richard le Despenser seems to have held the estate in 1351 and 1355. Both moieties had been acquired before 1428 by John Pinkney and are called henceforth the manors of Elington and Spencers, or, later, the manor of Spencers alias Knight Elington. In 1445 Nicholas Pinkney joined with John Clyve and Agnes his wife in conveying Elington and Spencers to John Norreys. The property remained in the Norreys family, following the descent of Yattendon (q.v.) until 1616, when it was conveyed by Francis Lord Norreys to Francis Moore, serjeant-at-law. His son Henry must have sold the manor to his neighbour Sir Francis Englefield, since the latter died seised of it in 1631, having settled it on a younger son William. In 1656 William and his eldest brother Sir Francis sold it to William Brighouse, to whom in 1658 a certain Robert Legge and his wife Mary also made a conveyance. In 1667 Henry Darrell and his wife Mary conveyed the manor to Hugh Parker, created a baronet in 1681. He was succeeded in 1697 by his nephew Henry, whose grandson and heir Sir Henry John Parker seems to have alienated the manor in 1741 to Joseph Townsend. In 1750 it belonged to Dr. William Battie, one of whose daughters, Catherine, married John Rashleigh. It remained with the Rashleigh family until the middle of the 19th century and is now the property of Mr. Ernest Gardner, M.P. for East Berks.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
Yes

of pages