Lordship Title of Eversholt Rectory ID1090

Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The first mention of the rectory manor of EVERSHOLT occurs in 1331, when John rector of the church there gave half a mark for confirmation of his rights to waifs and strays, view of frankpledge, assize of bread and ale, from his tenants in Eversholt, which his predecessors had claimed from time immemorial. The rectory manor belonged to successive rectors appointed by the Knights of St. John until the Dissolution, when it with the advowson lapsed to the Crown. In 1540 Sir Richard Longe received a royal grant of the lands and possessions of the Hospitallers' preceptory at Shingay, which included their property in Eversholt. He settled his estates on his son Henry on his marriage with Dorothy daughter of Nicholas Clark, and Henry on his death in 1573 left them by will to his wife and daughter Elizabeth. The latter afterwards married Sir William Russell, and they made a settlement of Eversholt Manor in 1594. Elizabeth died in 1611, leaving as heir a son Francis, but her mother Dorothy, who had married Sir Charles Morrison and survived her, apparently held Eversholt as dower for life, and was seised the following year when she settled it upon her son by her third husband, Sir Charles Morrison, to the exclusion of the heirs of her daughter. Sir Charles Morrison obtained a release of a third part of all the manors held by his late mother in dower in 1620, but the fourth Earl of Bedford, son of Elizabeth Russell, appears to have contested the claim of the Morrisons successfully, and in 1649 Eversholt rectory, manor and advowson were in the hands of his third son John. He was succeeded by his younger brother Edward, whose son William died unmarried, leaving his estates to his brother Edward, who held Eversholt in 1689. The latter was created Earl of Orford in 1697, but on his death without issue in 1727 Anne widow of Sir Thomas Tipping and daughter of his sister Letitia was found to be his heir. On her death without male issue Eversholt Manor appears to have descended to her elder daughter Letitia wife of Samuel first Lord Sandys, on whose son Edwin it was settled in 1768. He, who died in 1797, left the reversion of his estates, after the decease of his widow Anne, to the second son of the Marquess of Downshire. Anne Baroness Sandys died in 1806, and Eversholt rectory manor and advowson were purchased in 1839 from Lord Sandys' trustees by the Duke of Bedford.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:

of pages