Lordship Title of Everton ID1092

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
In the thirteenth century Roger Burnard was holding, as under-tenant of the Earl Marshal, land in Ever ton which ultimately became known as EVERTON MANOR. In 1247 Odo Burnard acquired 40 acres of land in Everton from Michael Burdet for which he paid 10s. rent, and in 1263 Nicholas Burnard and Felicia his wife alienated a messuage and a carucate of land with appurtenances to Thomas D'Espaigne. Between this date and 1307 this property passed to Walter Langton, bishop of Coventry and Lichfield, who in that year obtained a grant of a market and fair in Everton manor, here first definitely so called. He held the manor at his death in 1322, when its extent included a capital messuage, with garden, 275 acres of arable land, rent from free tenants amounting to £6 10s. yearly, rents and works of other tenants value 7s. 6d., and fines and profits of court. Everton manor passed on the death of the bishop to his nephew Edmund son of Robert Peverel, and he left a son John from whom the manor passed to a sister Margaret wife of William de la Pole, who held the manor in 1354. Their son John de la Pole, married to Joan daughter of John de Cobham, had succeeded by 1359, and his daughter Joan, suo jure Baroness Cobham, was, together with her second husband Sir Reginald Braybroke, in possession of Everton manor in 1403, and held it till her death in 1433. Her daughter Joan married Sir Thomas Brooke, and died about 1442, and her granddaughter Elizabeth Brooke, who married Robert Tanfield, was in possession of Everton manor at her death in 1503. Her grandson William, then aged fifteen, was her heir, and held the manor till 1530, when he was succeeded by his son Francis, whose son Clement died seised in 1587, and in 1615 William Tanfield his son conveyed the manor by fine to Sir Humphrey Winch, one of the justices of the King's Bench. From Sir Humphrey Winch, who died in 1624, the manor passed through Onslow, his son, who was holding in 1652, to his grandson Humphrey, who in 1659 alienated the manor to Philip Story. In 1693 Philip Story still held the manor, of which no further trace has been found; the Inclosure Act of 1807, whilst enumerating other manors in this parish, makes no mention of this property.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
Yes

of pages