Lordship Title of Flitwick (Dunstable Priory) ID1107

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
A second FLITWICK MANOR belonged to the priory of Dunstable, which is first mentioned in 1284 as holding land in the parish. Two years later the prior claimed by prescriptive right to hold a view of frankpledge once a year at Flitwick, and in 1323 a grant of free warren was obtained. This estate was assessed at 35s. 5d. in 1342, but c. 1535, when it was first called a manor, it was valued with the rectory at £11. In 1537 a thirty years' lease of the manor was obtained by Robert Hewet on the condition of finding green rushes for Dunstable and Flitwick Churches at the Feast of St. Peter, straw for Flitwick Church in winter, and meat, drink and horsemeat at the prior's view of frankpledge. By his will Robert Hewet left the remainder of the lease to his widow Margery, but at the dissolution of the priory in 1540 the manor was granted in 1552 to Thomas Cecil and Philip Boulde, by whom it was conveyed to Simon Aynesworth, who alienated it in the following year to Thomas Lownde. He died in 1557, and his widow Katherine in 1559 disturbed Margery Hewet in the enjoyment of her lease, and took the profits on the ground that rushes and straw had not been provided as agreed, but 20d. had been paid instead to the poor-box at Dunstable. Margaret the daughter and heir of Thomas and Katherine Lownde, aged eleven at her father's death, married John Whitworth, and in 1567 conveyed Flitwick, then worth £11 a year, to John Lacy, preparatory to an alienation to William Hewet. It passed to George Bury and Thomas Cheney, by whom it was conveyed in 1600 to Robert Honeywood, on whose death in 1627 it passed by settlement to his son Matthew. The latter's niece, Elizabeth wife of Sir John Cotton, obtained eventual possession, for in 1753 the manor was held by her four great-granddaughters: Elizabeth, married to Thomas Bowdler, and Jane, Frances and Mary Cotton. Twenty years later Elizabeth Bowdler and Mary alienated their moiety to John Earl of Upper Ossory, of whom it was purchased in 1804 by the Duke of Bedford. The other moiety held in 1753 by Jane and Frances Cotton passed to Dr. Humphrey Dell, under whose will Jeffrey Fisher of Maulden inherited it in right of his wife. Their daughter Ann in 1789 brought the estate in marriage to George Brooks, on whose death in 1817 it passed to his son John Thomas. The latter was succeeded in 1858 by his son John Hatfield Brooks, on whose death in 1907 Flitwick descended to his daughter and heir Miss Catherine Brooks.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages