Lordship Title of Grazeley or Greisley or Greyshull or Greshill ID1494

County:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The manor of GREYSHULL, GREISLEY or GRAZELEY in the parish of Sulhamstead Abbots came to the abbey of Reading before the 13th century, since the Abbot of Reading had made inclosures in the common pasture of Grazeley in the early years of that century, and was, therefore, presumably the lord of the manor. At the time of the dissolution of the abbey the rents from Grazeley were worth £9 15s. 10d. a year. The manor was granted in 1541 with the manor of Sulhamstead Abbots to Sir John Williams, the annual rent of Grazeley payable to the Crown being 19s. 0½d. It passed to Sir John's daughters and co-heirs, but in 1560, the year after his death, it was granted to Anthony Forster and Anthony Bulter to hold for the use of Nicholas Williams in tail-male. Nicholas was the son of Reginald Williams, the elder brother of Lord Williams, and he held Grazeley at the time of his death in 1568, when his widow Mabel claimed a third of the manor in dower. He left no sons, and the manor reverted after the division of Lord Williams's property to Lord Norreys and his wife Margery, who granted a lease of a farm called Jennings in Grazeley to Mabel and her second husband Sir Reade Stafford in composition for her dower. From this time until the 18th century the manor followed the same descent as Sulhamstead Abbots. The Earl of Abingdon sold it before 1759 to John James of Denford Court, Berks; the latter died in 1769, and left it to his great-nephew William Head, who took the name of James on succeeding to the property. William James died in 1777, and Grazeley passed to his brother Walter James Head; he assumed the name of James and in 1779–80 made a settlement of his property in Grazeley. He was created a baronet in 1791. Mr. James Herbert Benyon is lord of the manor at the present day.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages