10 Jul Lordship Title of Greenham ID1497
Posted at 20:04h in
GREENHAM was held of Edward the Confessor in alod by Seward; Henry de Ferrers held it in demesne in 1086. An Earl of Ferrers, probably Robert the son and successor of the Domesday tenant, is said in a 13th-century document to have given Greenham in marriage to Ralph Paynell, whose son Gervase inherited the manor on the death of his father before 1166. He granted it to the Knights Hospitallers, and his grant was confirmed by King John in 1199. A preceptory was founded there before 1338. The manor belonged to the Hospitallers until the dissolution of the order by Henry VIII, when it was seized by the king. It remained in the hands of both Henry VIII and Edward VI, although the latter granted the site, house and demesne lands of Greenham to John Lucas in 1553. Queen Mary revived the order of the Hospitallers by her Letters Patent, and the manor of Greenham was restored, but it seems doubtful whether the Lucas family was ever dispossessed of the house and estate there. John Lucas died in 1556, leaving them to his wife for her life; they were, however, leased to John Winchcombe, the lord of Thatcham Manor. Queen Elizabeth again dissolved the order of the Hospitallers, and in 1568 granted the manor of Greenham to Thomas Henneage and his wife Anne, who sold it in 1573 to Brian Chamberlain. In the following year it was in the hands of trustees, who immediately alienated it to William Bond, Thomas Pullyson, William Woodcock and William Napton. In 1584 the manor was conveyed to Daniel Bond. In 1586 Bond sold it to Sir Thomas Lucas, kt., who also obtained a grant in confirmation from the former owners, Pullyston, Woodcock and Napton. Sir Thomas was the son of John Lucas, to whom the site and demesnes of the manor had been granted in 1553. Thomas Lucas, his son, died in 1625, and was succeeded by his son John, a minor. John Lucas was an active Royalist, and in 1644–5 was created Lord Lucas of Shenfield. Although his Essex estates were sequestered, Greenham apparently escaped, as there is no record of his compounding for it. Possibly it formed part of his mother's jointure, she being still alive in 1650. On his death in 1671 the manor passed to his only daughter and heir Mary. His son John having died young, the heir to his barony was his nephew Charles, but in 1663 he obtained a separate peerage for his daughter, who was created Baroness Lucas of Crudwell. She married Anthony Grey Earl of Kent. Her son Henry, who was made Duke of Kent in 1710, inherited Greenham Manor on her death in 1702, but in 1725 he sold it to General Waring, who had previously purchased the manor of Thatcham (q.v.). It followed the same descent as Thatcham at this time, except that by the will of Lady Croft it was left directly to her second son John Croft, who afterwards succeeded to the baronetcy and the rest of her estates. On the sale of Sir John Croft's lands in 1798 Greenham was bought by James Croft, formerly Woodcock, the husband of Charlotte, the eldest daughter of Sir Archer Croft. Her grandson Archer Bernard Croft sold the manor to Lloyd Baxendale about 1856–60. Mr. Lloyd H. Baxendale is now lord of the manor of Greenham. A mill and the moiety of a mill at Greenham are mentioned in 1086, then worth 10s. 10d. A mill called 'Doddesmulne' there belonged to Roger le Forester about the close of the 13th century, and it was inherited by his daughter Agnes, who married Henry Pax of Basingstoke; she granted it when a widow to Sir Hugh le Despenser. No mill is mentioned in the extent of the Hospitallers' lands in 1338, but later a mill was attached to their manor of Greenham, which was leased to John Stower in the 16th century at a yearly rent of £8 6s. 8d. Greenham Mills are mentioned in 1637. These mills in 1811 were also used as cloth-mills, and a few years later, when they were advertised to be sold by auction, consisted of two corn-mills converted into one mill and a blanket manufactory, while there was also a silk-mill in the same ownership, but probably not included under the Greenham Mills.
Listed in the Domesday Book: