Lordship Title of Haynes ID1127

Title Type:
Previous Lords:
In 1086 the manor was held by Hugh de Beauchamp and was assessed at; hides. It had been held by Achi, a thegn of King Edward. Hugh's eldest son Simon died without issue and the second son Pain, who obtained the barony of Bedford from William II, inherited the manor, which on his death descended to his son Simon. The latter died about 1206, leaving as his heir a son William, who in 1219 was concerned in a dispute with Robert de Bray over land in Haynes. On his death in 1259 the manor passed under a settlement of 1257 to his second son Henry, who, however, did not live long to enjoy the property, for he died some time before the year 1265, leaving no children and the manor became the right of his brother John, who was killed in 1265 at Evesham, in arms against the king. The manor then passed to Maud, sister of John, who married Roger de Mowbray as her first husband, by whom she had a son Roger. She married as her second husband Roger Lestrange, who in 1286 claimed view of frankpledge in the manor of Haynes in right of his wife. Roger survived his wife and on his death in 1312 the manor passed to Maud's grandson John, son of Roger de Mowbray, who had died in 1296. John married Aliva, daughter and coheir of William de Braose, and in 1315 settled the manor on his father-in-law for life. John joined the insurrection of Thomas, earl of Lancaster, in 1321 and having been made prisoner at the battle of Boroughbridge, he was hanged at York in March, 1321–2. The same year Edward II granted the reversion of the manor held by William de Braose to Hugh le Despenser and Eleanor his wife. William de Braose died before the end of the year and Hugh and Eleanor were granted in February, 1325–6, free warren in the demesne lands of the manor of Haynes. Edward III on his accession, however, restored the manor to John de Mowbray (whose father John de Mowbray was hanged at York), who in that year came of age. John's mother Aliva had married, as her second husband, Sir Richard Peshall, who seems to have enjoyed the manor of Haynes in the right of his wife who died in 1381, for in 1329 and again in 1332, Sir Richard Peshall complained that his stepson had broken his manor of Haynes and carried away oxen and cattle, besides mowing his crops, fishing in his streams, and carrying away the crops and fish. John de Mowbray was a distinguished soldier, and earned great renown in the wars with France. He died of the plague in 1361 and was succeeded by his son John. The manor was held for life, however, by his widow Elizabeth, who in 1366 was called upon by her son John to show by what right she had prepared to sell or destroy three houses, woods and gardens in Haynes and Willington, which with the manor were to revert to him after her death. John recovered the site of the manor and park by grant of waste against Elizabeth and also was awarded as damages £23 annually for twenty years to be paid out of the manor of Haynes. This John de Mowbray married Elizabeth daughter and heir of John Lord Segrave by Margaret his wife daughter and heir of Thomas, earl of Norfolk and marshal of England. He joined the crusades and was killed by the Turks near Constantinople in 1368, leaving a son John, who was then three years old. His father's widow Elizabeth died in 1376 when the custody of the manor of Haynes was committed to trustees during the minority of the heir. The damage in the manor of Haynes was such that the jury did not think the necessary repairs could be undertaken for less than £100. The next year John de Mowbray was created earl of Nottingham, but died in 1383 while still under age, when his brother Thomas inherited the manor which was then worth £16. In the same year Thomas was created earl of Nottingham, as that title had died with his brother, and in 1389, marshal of England for life, while in 1397 he was created earl marshal and duke of Norfolk. He was banished from England the next year and died at Venice, 1400, in debt to the king and without having accounted for sums of money spent in the defence of Calais. He left a son Thomas, then a minor, and a widow Elizabeth who married, as her fourth husband, Sir Robert Goushill, to whom she brought the manor in dower. At his death in 1404 the manor was valued at £10 only. Thomas was beheaded the next year, having joined in the Scrope conspiracy, and the reversion of the manor passed to his brother John who entered into possession in 1425, on the death of Elizabeth his mother. John took an active part in the French wars and died 1432. His son John died in 1461, leaving as his heir a son John, created earl of Surrey and Warenne in his father's lifetime. On his death in 1475–6 the manor passed to his daughter Anne who married Richard Plantagenet, duke of York. She died while still an infant in 1480–1, and Haynes passed to her co-heirs, William earl of Nottingham and Thomas earl of Surrey, who were the descendants of her great grand-aunts, the daughters of Thomas Mowbray, first duke of Norfolk, who was banished in 1398. Isabel the elder of these had married James, Lord de Berkeley, and by him had a son William, created earl of Nottingham in 1483; the younger, Margaret, married Sir Robert Howard, and their second son Thomas, in 1483, was created earl of Surrey. William earl of Nottingham, and Anne his wife, in 1488 alienated their share of the manor to Sir Reginald Bray, who acquired the other moiety of the manor in 1491 from Thomas, earl of Surrey, and Elizabeth his wife. Sir Reginald Bray died in 1509 and the manor became the subject of a dispute between Margery wife of Sir William Sandys, afterwards Lord Sandys, and daughter of Sir John Bray, a half-brother of Sir Reginald Bray, and Edmund Bray, afterwards Lord Bray, son of John, another brother of Sir Reginald. The quarrel was settled in 1510 and Edmund retained Haynes manor, Margery obtaining manors elsewhere. Edmund died in 1539, and was succeeded by his son John, Lord Bray, who married Anne daughter of Francis earl of Shrewsbury. He died without issue in 1557, appointing his mother Jane, daughter and heir of Richard Haliwell, his sole executrix. Jane had married, as her second husband, Sir Urian Brereton of Handforth, Cheshire, but she did not survive her son long, as she died in 1558. According to a settlement made by Edmund Lord Bray in 1538, the manor, on the death of John, passed to this Edmund's brother, Sir Edward Bray, but he also dying in 1558 it was inherited by his son Sir Edward. The latter in 1564 conveyed it to Robert Newdigate, but the total alienation of the manor could not take place until Sir Edward's son and heir Reginald was of full age. The completion of the purchase was, therefore, not effected until 1580, when Sir Edward Bray and Mary his fourth wife, with Reginald his son and heir by his second wife Elizabeth, sold the manor to Robert Newdigate. The manor of Haynes remained in the possession of the Newdigate family for nearly half a century. The original purchaser Robert died seised of it in 1584, when it was worth £20, Robert having acquired, shortly before his death, a third of the manor, which was held as dower by Lady Anne Wharton, who died in 1585, the widow of John Lord Bray. He was succeeded by his son Robert, afterwards Sir Robert Newdigate, kt., who died in 1613, leaving a son Robert, the third of that name. The latter in 1622 sold the manor to Sir Oliver Luke of Wood End, in the parish of Cople, the father of Samuel Luke, knighted in 1624. Both father and son were zealous Parliamentarians and strong Presbyterians and both sat in the Short Parliament of 1640, and in the Long Parliament, Sir Samuel Luke as member for Bedford Borough, and his father representing the county. At the Restoration Sir Samuel Luke also sat in the Convention Parliament as member for Bedford Borough. He took an active part in the Civil Wars and was several times wounded and taken prisoner. His personal appearance and short stature made him an object of Royalist satire and he was the original of Butler's Sir Hudibras. During these disturbed times he seems to have settled the manor on his son Oliver, who had married Elizabeth the daughter of Onslow Winch, and in 1667 father and son united in conveying the manor to William Montague and Sir Thomas Crewe, father of John Crewe, Lord Crewe of Sterne, probably a preliminary step to selling it to Sir George Carteret, for although no record of the transfer is extant, it was acquired by the Carterets about this time, and Lysons mentions 1667 as the date. Sir George Carteret was a devoted adherent to the Royalist cause, he had defended Jersey against the Parliamentarians, was created a baronet in 1645 and made vice-chamberlain at the Restoration. His son Sir Philip was blown up in the Royal James off Southwold Bay in the action against the Dutch, which took place there in 1672, leaving a son Sir George, who inherited the manor on his grandfather's death in 1679. The latter was a zealous supporter of the Revolution, although elevated to the peerage by Charles II in 1681, with the title of Baron Carteret of Haynes. He died in 1695 and was succeeded by his son John who became Earl Granville on the death of his mother in 1744. He led an active political life, being Lord-lieutenant of Ireland in 1724 and died in 1763. The manor passed to his son Robert on whose death without issue in 1776 it was inherited by his nephew Henry Frederick, younger son of his sister Louisa, in accordance with the terms of the will of John, Earl Granville. Henry Frederick in 1784. It was created Baron Carteret of Haynes with remainder to the younger sons of his brother Thomas, first marquess of Bath, and on his death without issue in 1826 the manor and title passed to his nephew Lord George Thynne, who died childless in 1838, when he was succeeded by his brother John, third Lord Carteret, who also died without issue in 1849. The title then became extinct, but the manor was inherited by the Rev. Lord John Thynne, subdean of Westminster (third son of Thomas, second marquess of Bath), in whose second son, Mr. Francis John Thynne, it is vested at the present day. The site of the manor of Haynes was mortgaged in 1568 by Robert Newdigate, together with the park, for £300 by the name of 'the messuage or mansion house wherin Robert now dwells, known by the name of the site of the manor of Haunes or Haunes Lodge.'
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:

of pages