Lordship Title of Hoo ID1139

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The first tenants of the property that have been found are Robert Ingram and William Oyldebœuf, who held it by the service of half a knight's fee in 1284–6. By the beginning of the next century it had passed to Robert de Bayeux, who was still holding in 1323. He was succeeded by Richard de Bayeux before 1346. At his death the manor passed to his daughter Elizabeth, whose two daughters Joan and Margaret, or their descendants, are probably 'the heirs' of Richard de Bayeux recorded as holding this manor in 1428. No evidence concerning the descent of this manor has been found for the next 100 years, and in the interval it was divided into thirds. Edward Saunders in 1537 alienated one-third of the manor to Edward Montague for forty years; the latter by his will dated 17 July 1556 left his interest in the manor to his sons Roger and Simon. Another third of this manor was in the hands of Thomas Marborowe in the early part of the 16th century. After his death his wife held it for her life, and later it came into the possession of Henry Marborowe, his son, who in 1559 alienated it to William Gery for £500. It appears from a suit which arose later that Marborowe intended this to be only a temporary arrangement, but William Gery claimed that it was a genuine sale, and in 1585 alienated it to Lord St. John. One, or possibly both of these thirds, was owned prior to the year 1607 by Robert Jackman, who in that year quitclaimed 'the manor of Hoo' to Walter Rolt. His successor, Edward Rolt, 'Esquire,' of Pertenhall, J.P. and Recorder of Bedford, was eldest son of Thomas Rolt of Bolnhurst. He was buried here in 1616, leaving a son Edward, who was similarly Counseller at law and was buried here in 1652. By Mary, daughter of Sir Oliver Cromwell of Hinchinbrooke, K.B. (the Protector's uncle), he left three sons, of whom (Sir) Thomas, the youngest, became 'President of India' and purchased Sacombe Park, Herts, while 'Captain' Edward Rolt, the eldest, was a gentleman of the Protector's Life Guard, was 'ambassador' for him to Sweden, and was afterwards a friend of Pepys. He was buried at Pertenhall in 1698, after which date no trace of the manor is found until the latter part of the 18th century, when it was in the possession of a Mr. Dean. From the latter it passed to a relative, John Sismey, who held it into the 19th century, since which date no further trace of the manor has been found.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages