Lordship Title of Ickwell or Ickwell Bury ID1152

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
No reference is made in Domesday to the hamlets of Ickwell or Caldecote, but Eudo son of Hubert owned 3 hides of land in Northill, which were afterwards included in these hamlets. Of these 3 hides 1½ were tenanted by Ralf, and became known later as ICKWELL or ICKWELL BURY MANOR, being attached to the barony of Eaton (q.v.) in common with other estates formerly belonging to Eudo in Bedfordshire. Before 1284 this manor, by the gift of William Hobcote, belonged to the Prior of St. John of Jerusalem, who paid sixths from it to the county and the hundred. It remained in the possession of the Hospitallers, and after the Dissolution was granted by the Crown in 1543 to John Barnardiston and his wife Joan. The former died in 1587 and was succeeded by his grandson Robert, who died at Ickwell Bury in 1631. Robert's son Henry died in 1640 and Henry's son Robert in 1652 suffered a recovery of the manor; but in 1680 with his son George conveyed it to John Harvey. Since this time the Harvey family in the direct line have continued in possession of Ickwell Bury Manor, the present representative being Mr. John Edmund Audley Harvey, lord of the manor of Northill. In 1639 Ickwell Bury Manor comprised 487 acres lying together, with the exception of about 96 acres in the common fields, worth in all £404 15s. 4d., with timber and woods worth £400, while Bowells-fields lying in the adjoining parish of Old Warden were worth an additional £60 6s. 8d. On this estate there were two freeholders but no copy-holder. The Old House at Ickwell Green, which was leased to John Corker in 1639, afterwards came into the possession of Humphrey Fish, probably through his mother Margaret, daughter of John Barnardiston. He died in 1647, leaving his property to his brother Henry, representatives of whose family, Humphrey Fish, senior, and Humphrey Fish, junior, were commissioners of the land tax for Bedfordshire in 1707. The latter died in 1720, being the last heir male of his family and an octogenarian, and was buried at Northill. His descendants on the female side, Henry and Charles Fish Palmer, are named in the Inclosure Act of 1780, and the estate remained in their family, the last member of which, Lady Madeline Palmer, died in 1840, when it was bought by John Harvey, father of the present owner, Mr. John Edmund Audley Harvey. The Prior of St. John of Jerusalem claimed view of frankpledge in Caldecote, Ickwell and Caldecote, which with a court leet was granted in 1543 to John Barnardiston. In 1676 the right of holding a fair on Ickwell Green on 25, 26 and 27 March (and if one of these days happened to be a Sunday then on the Monday following) was granted to George Barnardiston and his heirs. One of Lysons' correspondents stated in 1812 that Ickwell fair had been transferred to Beeston, but no other reference to it has been found. The lords of the manor of Ickwell Bury claimed a right of way to Northill Church, which about 1550 involved John Barnardiston in a lawsuit.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages