Lordship Title of Kentwood ID1528

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The manor of KENTWOOD was held of the abbey of Reading, and afterwards of Sir Peter Vanlore under the manor of Tilehurst, but its early history is obscure. A family taking their name from Kentwood, in the north of Tilehurst parish, were settled there in the 14th century, Nicholas Kentwood being one of the parishioners of the church of Tilehurst in 1341–2. He was succeeded by John Kentwood before 1392, and in 1434 the latter, or a younger John Kentwood, appears in a list of the gentry of the county. His successor appears to have been Nicholas, whose wife's name was Maud; it seems probable that he may be identified with that Nicholas Kentwood who married Maud Sackville of Fawley, Bucks. Nicholas died before 1443, and was succeeded by a son named Robert and grandson John. The latter granted the family property in Cholsey in 1484 to Alexander Cheyne and his wife Florence, who was probably the widow of Robert Kentwood. John Kentwood died in 1487, when his manors in this county seem to have been divided between his two sisters and coheirs. One of these co-heirs was Elizabeth the wife of John Swafield, and the other was apparently Frideswide the wife of Richard Fettiplace of Maidencote. Presumably Frideswide and Richard had died before 1507, and their right in the manor had passed to their son and heir William. The latter and his wife Elizabeth seem to have made a settlement of their moiety of the manor of Kentwood in that year, the trustees for the settlement being Robert Brudenell, a justice of the King's Bench, and Lewis Pollard, serjeant-at-law. John Swafield and his wife Elizabeth, the tenants of the other moiety of the manor, were in seisin in 1509, when they granted their interest in it to John Yate, Edmund Bury and Robert Hide, probably trustees of James Yate and his wife Mary, who owned it in 1526. James and Mary granted it to William Fettiplace in that year with a quitclaim from the heirs of Mary. From this time the whole manor of Kentwood was held by the Fettiplace family. Nicholas the son of William Fettiplace died in 1569, and the manor passed on the death of his wife Elizabeth, on whom it was settled for life, to his only daughter Anne. She married Edmund Dunch, and her descendants in the male line held Kentwood Manor until the death of Edmund Dunch in 1719, when his property was divided between co-heirs. The lords of Kentwood apparently held no court for their tenants in the 17th century, for they and their freeholders went to the court baron of Tilehurst. The Abbot of Reading had a free warren at Kentwood appurtenant apparently to his manor of Reading.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages