Lordship Title of Knotting ID1167

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The first sub-tenants of the manor of whom mention has been found are the family of Bossard. John Bossard was deforciant in a suit concerning land in Knotting in 1223–4. He was granted rights of free warren in the manor in 1247. By 1271 he had been succeeded by his son Hugh, who five years later successfully claimed rights in Knotting. The latter was in turn succeeded before 1316 by a son Hugh, who appears to have frequently suffered from financial embarrassment, and who in 1317 enfeoffed Robert de Tolthorp of the manor to the end that he should be re-enfeoffed in conjunction with Joan his wife. Hugh Bossard was still holding in 1331, but by 1346 had been succeeded by Giles Bossard, who held the manor by the service of a third of a knight's fee. Giles Bossard granted common pasture in the manor to Richard Tessington, clerk, in 1361. He was the last of the Bossards to hold the manor, and at his death it appears to have been divided between two co-heirs, one of whom was the wife of Gerard Braybrook, who is recorded as holding the property in 1428, and who in the same year surrendered his right in the manor to the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. The other was possibly Alice the wife of Richard Brounder, who with her husband quitclaimed her half-share in the manor to the Chapter of St. Paul's for 100 marks of silver in the same year. Probably the dean and chapter were acting as trustees for Sir Gerard Braybrook's granddaughter and heir Elizabeth Lady St. Amand in her own right, who is later found holding the manor with her husband Sir William Beauchamp. Elizabeth's son and heir Richard Beauchamp Lord St. Amand proved a staunch adherent to the house of Lancaster and was attainted in 1483. The next year Richard III granted Knotting Manor with other property to Thomas Lord Stanley and his son George Lord Lestraunge 'for their good service against the rebels.' Richard Beauchamp, however, was restored by Henry VII in 1485. After his death in 1508 the rightful descent of the manor was not determined without dispute. John Brook Lord Cobham, a cousin of Richard Beauchamp, is found praying that Thomas, Abbot of the monastery of Stanley in Derbyshire might be forced to give up the title-deeds of Knotting, which had come into his possession, while his son Thomas Brook a few years later claimed the manors against Anthony St. Amand, natural son of the last lord. This latter case was submitted to the arbitration of the Archbishop of Canterbury, who gave judgement in favour of Thomas. In 1526 Thomas Lord Cobham granted to one Gregory Cursson and his heirs a lease of the manor for ninety years at a yearly rent of £24. In order to secure the validity of the arrangement, Lord Cobham placed the manor in the hands of trustees. After his death in 1529 his son and heir George ignoring the lease made a forcible entry into the premises and turned Cursson's tenant Elizabeth Hanley and her daughter out of the manor-house. Cursson appealed to the Star Chamber and the Court upheld him. Lord Cobham, however, continued his persecution. He induced the tenants on the manor to withhold the rents due to Cursson, and prompted a certain William Hays to enter and take the profits of a part of the manor lands. In 1554 Lord Cobham alienated the manor to Sir Thomas Pope and Elizabeth his wife. Sir Thomas died childless in 1559 and was succeeded by his brother John. The latter's son William, afterwards Lord Belturbet and Earl of Downe, transferred Knotting Manor in 1599 to Robert Waller, who, dying seised of it in 1616, was succeeded by his son Edmund the poet. Knotting cannot be associated very closely with the memory of Edmund Waller, as he seems never to have resided in the parish. Waller held the manor until 1644, when he transferred it to Lawrence Wright. Sir Henry Wright, bart., the son and heir of Lawrence, held the manor of Knotting till his death in 1681. His widow afterwards marrying Edmund Pye, the manor came into the hands of this well-known Berkshire family, who continued to hold it for the next ninety years. The last member of this family to be lord of Knotting Manor was Henry James Pye, the poet-laureate, who sold the property to the Duke of Bedford in 1774. The Dukes of Bedford continued to own the manor until 1884, when it was purchased by Mr. Charles Magniac. In 1892 the Knotting property was purchased by Mr. Samuel Whitbread, but the manorial rights did not pass under the sale.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages