Lordship Title of Little Staughton ID1181

County:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
It must now be admitted that LITTLE STAUGHTON finds no mention in the Domesday Survey, for Mr. Airy's theory, expressed in his Digest of the Bedfordshire Domesday, that the entries under 'Estone' refer to Little Staughton, is disproved by Mr. J. H. Round's identification of 'Estone' with the Huntingdonshire parish of Easton. The earliest document dealing with Little Staughton that has been discovered bears the date of 1206; it records that John de Stocton in that year quitclaimed a carucate of land in Little Staughton to Brother Aimery, master of the Templars, for 30 marks of silver. The next year the same John quitclaimed to the Templars a plot of land called 'Estocking,' which they had previously held of him, and on which their capital messuage was built. In 1253 the Templars received a charter of free warren in Little Staughton; their claim of frankpledge in 1287 was considered doubtful and the case was referred to Westminster for decision. Throughout the 13th and early 14th centuries the Templars increased their holding in Little Staughton; at the beginning of the 14th century the annual value of their rents there was £3 0s. 9¼d. On the suppression of the order circa 1318 Little Staughton with the bulk of the Templars' property passed into the hands of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem. This latter order had a preceptory in the neighbouring parish of Melchbourne (q.v.) and had previously held some land in Little Staughton. The Hospitallers granted the manor to John Bishop of Ely for life, who in turn granted it to John de Waldeshef, who claimed rights of free warren and a view of frankpledge there in 1330. After the death of the bishop in 1337 the manor reverted to the Hospitallers. At the time of the Dissolution Little Staughton Manor was granted to Anthony Cockett. In 1547 he alienated it to William Gery of Bushmead, who in 1572 settled it upon his son William on the occasion of his marriage with Rebecca Snowe. William Gery the younger died seised of the manor in 1586. His wife Rebecca took for her second husband Thomas Polge; she died in 1601 and was succeeded by her son Richard Gery. (fn. 24) The latter previous to his death, which occurred in 1638, settled the manor on his son William on the occasion of his marriage. William Gery was succeeded by his brother George, who took an active part in the Civil War on the Royalist side. He was taken prisoner at the battle of Naseby, and imprisoned in Winchester House, where he took the negative oath. In 1644, being indebted to a barber-surgeon to the amount of £90, he was forced by the Parliament to grant the latter an annuity of £40 out of the manor of Little Staughton until the debt was paid. He compounded for his delinquency in 1648 for an annuity of £10 to be paid out of this manor. In 1650 he alienated Little Staughton to John Spicer. He or a son of the same name sold the manor to Henry Kingsley in 1700, who dying in 1712 was succeeded by his son Heylock Kingsley. Elizabeth daughter and heir of Heylock Kingsley married William Pym, who became lord of Little Staughton Manor on the death of his father-in-law in 1749. William Pym died in 1788; his son and heir Francis suffered a recovery of the manor the same year. He was lord of the manor when the parish was inclosed in 1801, but the property has since been dispersed by sale among many owners. Courts leet and baron and a view of frankpledge were formerly attached to this manor.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages