Lordship Title of Lullebrook or Cookham ID1549

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The manor of LULLEBROOK (Lullebroc, Lowebrooks, Lollybrooks, Lillybrooks), which is also called the manor of Cookham, is apparently in part the hide of land in Cookham, with 6 acres in Lichdene and a weir in 'Lullebroc,' granted in 1205 to Adam son of Ralph de Burnham, having formerly been held by William de Buggehesel. Adam's heir Gunnilda Kyrye sold this estate in 1248 to Simon de Passelewe, of whom it was purchased in 1252 by William son of Sweyn. Walter de Lullebroc bought a messuage and land in Cookham in 1292 of John de la Lane of Elington and his wife Joan. In 1341 Joan the widow of Robert de Lullebroc, who in that year obtained licence to have an oratory in her manor at Cookham, was holding a messuage and 140 acres of land and a weir in Cookham for life with reversion to William Trussell of Kibblestone, who settled them upon his college at Shottesbrook. The estate probably remained in the possession of the college until its dissolution in 1547 and was granted with it to Thomas Weldon, for his son William conveyed 'the manor of Lulbrokes' in 1590 to Thomas Turner alias Ferrers. The manor remained in that family, whose pedigree is entered in the Visitation of 1665, until 1660, when Thomas's great-grandson John Ferrers alias Turner conveyed it to William Chilcott and Thomas Lee. John Lee of Cookham was holding the manor in 1720, and Elizabeth daughter of John Lee conveyed it by marriage to Dr. Richard Wells, who was in possession in 1752. Of his son Dr. Joseph Wells it was purchased by the Right Hon. William Wickham, who afterwards sold it to the Coney family. It was bought by William Hieatt, who sold it to the father of the present owner, Mr. James Walter Burrows of Elm House, Maidenhead.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages