10 Jul Lordship Title of Moor Place ID1561
Posted at 20:05h in
The early descent of the so-called manor of MOOR PLACE is obscure. In 1540 it is described as lying in Hartley Dummer, Hartley Amys, Hartley Pellitot, Hartley Battle, Hartley Regis, Shinfield and Burghfield. It may have been composed of part of Sir Richard Dummer's holding (see above) and of that part of the Battle Abbey estate held in 1424 by Robert Woodcock (see above), and probably of other holdings. Richard Woodcock dealt by recovery with the manors of Moor Place, Hartley Pellitot and Diddenham in 1540. He was succeeded by George Woodcock, who married Anne daughter of William Hyde of South Denchworth. Robert Woodcock died seised of the manor in 1630, leaving a widow Margaret and a son Thomas, who was succeeded before 1657 by Samuel Woodcock. Samuel together with his wife Hannah was dealing with the manor in that year, but he seems to have died before 1666, for the Woodcock estates were then in the hands of Edmund Ansley, the guardian of another Samuel Woodcock. The younger Samuel probably died without issue, for the manor seems to have come to Mary Spier née Woodcock, wife of John Spier of Huntercombe, apparently daughter and co-heir of the elder Samuel. In 1676 she as Mary Spier, widow, was settling the manor in conjunction with Richard and Edward Taylor, and it seems to have descended to her three co-heirs. In 1702 William Gibbons, M.D., and Elizabeth his wife, daughter of Mary Spier and apparently widow of Robert Huntington and Samuel Danvers, John Touchett and Martha his wife and Robert Breedon the younger released their right in the manors of Moor Place and Diddenham to Sir Owen Buckingham. The estate descended with Earley Bartholomew in Sonning (q.v.) to Elizabeth Manley, wife of Sir John Powell Pryce. In 1752 she with her husband quitclaimed the manor to Alexander Whitchurch. The estates afterwards passed to H. Plant, whose devisees sold them before 1806 to Mr. William Dearsley. His son Mr. William Hanson Dearsley died seised of them in 1825, after which they were held by his widow, who married as her second husband Mr. Thomas Owst, and was still in possession of them in 1843. They were afterwards bought by Mr. Richard Benyon, whose nephew Mr. James Herbert Benyon is the present owner.
Listed in the Domesday Book: