Lordship Title of Newbury ID1208

Title Type:
Previous Lords:
By 1284 the manor had passed into the possession of the family of Fitz Richard, who owned land in Silsoe before that date, for in 1201 Ralph Fitz Richard leased 1 perch of land and 1½ acres of meadow to William Wiscard for 6d. yearly. The manor remained in the possession of this family, passing to Ralph's son, who was holding it in 1318, and in 1396, when a settlement of the manor was made; but the Fitz Richards alienated part of their estate in Silsoe amounting to one-quarter of a fee, which was held in 1302 by Ralph de Limbury and by the tenants of the lands which had belonged to Henry son of William and to William Wiscard. By 1346 it was in the possession of John Morice and Margaret his wife, in right of the latter, and had passed by 1428 to John Wayte. The manor of Newbury and this quarter of a fee then became merged, for in 1525, at the expiration of the term of a lease of the manors of Newbury and Silsoe granted to Henry Wayte, probably a relation of John Wayte, and to Joan his wife, by Edward Daniell and others, the manor of Newbury passed into the possession of the Daniell family, who held it from 1525 until 1667; Edward Daniell, who was holding in 1551, was apparently succeeded by his grandson Stephen, who was lord of the manor in 1573 and in 1603. Stephen died in 1631, aged eighty-four, and the manor went to his son Richard, who died shortly afterwards, apparently without male issue, as the lordship was inherited by his brother Thomas, according to the terms of his great-grandfather Edward's will. Thomas, who owned the manorial rights in 1658, died in 1664, and there was a disturbance on the occasion of his burial, William Wheeler and John Webb of Silsoe and others refusing to allow the parson to bury him, and casting him out of the church by force. As Thomas died without male issue the manor was inherited by his brother William, who, with Elizabeth his wife, was in possession in 1666. The history of the manor during the eighteenth century is obscure, but at some time during this period it must have been sold to the de Greys, earls of Kent, who already owned so much land in Silsoe and Flitton, as in 1833 it was in the possession of Thomas Philip, Lord Grantham, whose descendant, Lord Lucas and Dingwall, owns the estate at the present day. At the beginning of the nineteenth century, Newbury Manor House was surrounded by a moat, but since then two sides have been filled in.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:

of pages