Lordship Title of North Moreton ID1572

County:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
Ralf, who held the manor at the Survey, was probably Ralf Basset, for in the time of Henry III it was held by John son and heir of Henry Basset, who in 1243 obtained from Robert de Eston and his wife Margery, possibly John's mother, a quitclaim of their right in two-thirds of a fee in North Moreton. He had been succeeded before 1247 by Miles Basset, who then confirmed the title of the Archdeacon of Berkshire to the advowson. In the same year he granted a messuage and 6 virgates of land to his uncle Robert Basset and his wife Alice for their lives, and this land was restored to Miles in 1268 by Robert's nieces, Blanche wife of Peter Uffinton and Joan, and by Avice wife of William Woodcote, who also released to Miles the manor of North Moreton. In 1264 Miles obtained a grant of free warren in his demesne lands in North Moreton (Norburton). Margaret daughter of Miles Basset married Nicholas de Stapleton, a judge of the King's Bench, who was holding North Moreton in 1279 and died in 1290. Miles, their son and heir, who was attached to the king's household, became possessed of the manor, which he settled in 1310 upon his second son Gilbert. He fell in 1314 at Bannockburn. Gilbert de Stapleton held the manor in 1316 and dying in 1321 it passed to his son Miles. Agnes the widow of Sir Gilbert married Sir Thomas Sheffeld, and he presided over the manorial courts in 1333 and 1334. Sir Miles held his court here in 1350, and in 1354 he settled the manor on himself and his wife Joan and their heirs male with contingent remainder to his brother Brian and to his cousin Miles Stapleton of Hathelsay. He died in 1364, having granted it for life to his cousin Sir Miles Stapleton of Hathelsay, who died in 1372. The former, distinguished as Sir Miles Stapleton of Bedale, left a son Miles, who was under age in 1377, but who two years later conveyed the manor to his uncle Sir Brian Stapleton and others for their lives with reversion to himself. Sir Miles died in 1419, when it passed to his son Sir Brian. He died in 1438, having granted it by charter to Miles his son and heir. The latter Sir Miles settled it in 1456 on himself and Katherine his wife and their heirs, with remainder to the heirs of his brother Brian. He died in 1466, leaving two daughters, Elizabeth wife of Sir William Calthorpe and Joan wife of Christopher Harcourt and afterwards of Sir John Huddelston, the manor continuing with Katherine, the widow, who afterwards married Sir Richard Harcourt. She was sued in 1470 and 1477 for this manor by Brian Stapleton, a descendant of Sir Brian brother of Miles Stapleton of Ingham and Bedale, under the settlement of 1354, on the plea that the issue male of Miles had failed, but the suit was not successful, for Katherine died seised of the manor in 1488. It then passed to the elder daughter Elizabeth, who after the death of Sir William Calthorpe married Sir John Fortescue. She married, thirdly, Sir Edward Howard, second son of John second Duke of Norfolk, and died in 1505, having settled the manor in 1501 on her son Francis Calthorpe. In 1535 Sir Francis settled a yearly charge of 20 marks from this manor upon Edmund Calthorpe, his great-nephew, son and heir of his nephew Edward, on his marriage with Elizabeth daughter of Edmund Windham, while the manor was settled on Sir Francis's nephew Edward. Sir Francis outlived Edward and died in 1542, leaving a son William by a second marriage. The manor of North Moreton passed to William, though it was claimed in 1563 by Edmund Calthorpe. William Calthorpe sold it in 1567 to William Dunch. The manor was again claimed in 1571 by the heirs of Edmund Calthorpe, his sister Grace wife of John Covile, and his nephews Edward Shelton and John Moyne. In or about 1566 these three claimants released their right to William Dunch. The manor passed with Dunch's manor of Little Wittenham until 1713. About 1726 Edmund Dunch conveyed it to Robert Hucks, from whom it passed in 1748 to his son Robert. At his death in 1814 it came to his nieces and co-heirs, the Misses Sarah and Anne Noyes, the latter of whom afterwards acquired the whole, and in 1842 devised it by will to her cousin Henry Hucks Gibbs (afterwards Lord Aldenham). He sold the manor in 1858 to Mr. Charles Greenwood and the land to various purchasers. From Mr. Greenwood the manor came into the possession of Mr. John Mitchell Marshall of Wallingford, who died in 1908, and it now belongs to his widow. With the exception of some small quit-rents the manorial rights have fallen into disuse. The site of the manor-house appears in an inclosure east of the church called 'the Grounds,' with the greater part of its moat remaining. A large number of Court Rolls extending from 1333 to 1743, but with some long intervals, are in possession of Lord Aldenham, and one of 1549 is in the Public Record Office.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
Yes

of pages