Lordship Title of Norwood ID1212

County:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
There was another estate in Silsoe which became known in the fourteenth century as the manor of NORWOOD, and in the reign of Henry VIII as Norwood alias Silsoe, at first held of John peyvre; the overlordship passed before 1388 to the barony of Wahull, and remained vested in the barony until towards the end of the reign of Henry VII it was transferred to the crown. After 1524 there is no further mention of it. This manor probably originated in the land held by Henry de Northwood, who in 1203 acquired 4 acres of land, 27 roods of meadow in Silsoe from Robert de Bray, and in 1206 he leased half a virgate to William, son of Henry de Ryde, at an annual rent of 2d. In 1315 Thomas de Northwood, evidently a member of the same family, held half a fee in Flitton and Silsoe of John Peyvre, and in 1360 Richard, probably his son, and his wife Alice, alienated the manor of Norwood to Reginald de Grey of Ruthyn, and Eleanor his wife. The de Greys, earls of Kent, and their descendants have continued to hold the manor, which has followed the same descent as the manor of Wrest until the present day, Lord Lucas and Dingwall now being the lord of the manor. There appears to have been a division of the manor between 1445 and 1456, when one third was in the possession of Thomas Boughton. Thomas was succeeded by his son Richard, who died seised of this manor in 1485, as his heir his son William; the third was then worth 100s. William probably alienated the property to Richard Decon's father, for in 1521 Richard Decon died seised of it, the manor having descended to him as son and heir. It again rapidly changed hands, for Thomas Warren, who died in 1544, and Elizabeth his wife were seised of it before their death. Their son Humphrey in 1539 mortgaged his reversion of the property to Edmund Conquest for £73 6s. 8d., and again in 1544, after the death of his father, further mortgaged the estate, and the reversion of the property which his mother held as her dower, to Thomas Palmer for £120. Humphrey was evidently unable to redeem the mortgage for Edmund Conquest at his death left his wife Joan as his executrix, and she sold the estate to Sir Henry Grey, de jure fourth earl of Kent, for £200. In this way, the third part of the manor returned to the de Greys, and was absorbed in the manor proper of Norwood.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages