Lordship Title of Odes ID1577

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The manor of ODES probably took its name from a family of Ode or Oude (Wode ?). William Ode appears in the neighbourhood in 1224, and in 1327 Thomas Oude was assessed at 2s. 11¾d. to the subsidy in the vill of Hinton. An Adam Ode was assessed under Winnersh in 1332. In 1363 the manor of Odes was settled on Sir Peter de Montfort, lord of Beaudesert, for life, with remainder to his illegitimate son Richard de Montfort and Rose his wife and their heirs. By the early 16th century Odes was in the hands of the Norreys family, but when John Norreys was indicted for the murder of John Enhold of Nettlebed it formed part of the price of his pardon paid to the king. Apparently, however, it was again acquired by the Norreys family, for Henry Lord Norreys sold the manors of Mordells and Odes to Henry Hawthorne, who had resided at Banisters. His daughter Judith carried them in marriage to Oliver Coxhead, and from him Sir Thomas Windebank acquired these manors about the middle of the reign of Elizabeth. On the death of Sir Thomas Windebank in 1607 his manors of Mordells and Odes, with the capital messuage of Banisters, passed to his son Francis, who later became Secretary of State to Charles I. In 1640 Sir Francis Windebank was arrested by order of the Parliament, but escaped and crossed to France, dying there six years later. His estates were sequestered. and soon after his property in Hurst passed into the hands of Richard Bigg, a partisan of Cromwell. At Haines Hill is still preserved the pardon granted to Bigg by Charles II, permitting him to retain possession of his property in spite of his support of the Parliamentarian cause during the Commonwealth period. It is a beautifully inscribed document bearing a portrait of Charles in the left-hand top corner. Richard Bigg left four sons, of whom John succeeded his father in 1677. The manors of Mordells and Odes and the Haines Hill estate remained with the Bigg family till about the middle of the 18th century. The subsequent history of this property is given under Haines Hill (see above). Thomas Garth suffered a recovery of the manor in 1819.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages