Lordship Title of Pulloxhill and Green or Pulloxhill or Pulloxhill Grange ID1239

Title Type:
Previous Lords:
In 1227 Henry Buniun conveyed 8 acres of land to Woburn Abbey, and in 1235, 33 acres more were confirmed to the Abbey by Godfrey de Luvholt and Mabel his wife, the heiress of Letitia, who had formerly given this land to the abbey. These lands were probably acquired from Dunstable Priory, and the abbey of Woburn also held land under the priory, for it paid an annual rent of 26s. in 1234 to the priory for a mill in Greenfield, and in 1286, after the death of Aimery of St. Amand, Woburn Abbey contributed 16s. towards the 32s. paid by Dunstable Priory to his executors. In 1535 Dunstable Priory received from Woburn Abbey 25s. for lands which the latter held in Greenfield, and 5s. for those it held in Pulloxhill, while the mill in Greenfield was rented at 20s. per annum. In 1291 the value of the abbey's estates in Pulloxhill was £7 2s. 5d., and it was again estimated at that figure in 1337. In 1302 the abbey held two hides, and the estate was no larger in 1346 and 1428. In 1330 the abbey claimed sac and soc in Pulloxhill. At the time of the Dissolution the manors of Pulloxhill and Greenfield were jointly valued at £38 18s. 7d. After the Dissolution the manors were taken into the king's hand and were leased out to Roger Lee in 1539. In the same year Thomas Norton, by a false statement, acquired possession of the premises, and the matter came up for settlement before the Privy Council, by whom Norton was fined for misrepresentation. In 1547 Sir William Pagett was granted Pulloxhill Grange, and in the following year, an agreement being come to with Sir Thomas Pamer, who had a grant of the site of the manor, the latter entered into possession of the property. On his attainder in 1553 for his adherence to Lady Jane Grey the grange was granted by Queen Mary to George Bredyman for life. Queen Mary, however, died seised of the manor, which then passed to Queen Elizabeth, who in 1563 bestowed it on John Lee and Thomas Julyan, and the heirs of the former. Thomas Julyan died soon after, and John Lee, becoming sole tenant, sold the grange of Pulloxhill to Sir Thomas Cheyney and Lady Jane his wife in 1566. The latter were called upon by the queen to justify their title in 1567, and apparently made good their claim. The manor was in the queen's hands, however, by 1595, and in 1601 was granted to Peter Page and Edmund Pigeon. Matthew Page, evidently a relation, in 1623 conveyed the reversion of the manors after the death of John Page to Richard Norton, who alienated them in 1626 to Peter Duckett. From him they probably passed to Noah Duckett, who may have been a brother, and through the latter's daughter Anne to her husband Sir William Briers, who held them in 1643. On his death in 1653 there was a division of the manors, a moiety being settled on Arabella his second wife as her dower, and the other moiety passing to Briers Crofts, his heiress. It is probable that the latter was his niece, and that her mother Anne Briers was his sister. Briers Crofts' husband, Sir John Crofts of Westow, Suffolk, united with Arabella Briers in 1660 to convey the whole manor to Sir Henry Crofts, probably as a trustee, for in 1665, after the death of her husband, Briers Crofts united with his relatives to convey the manors to Thomas Neale, who in 1673 sold them to Sir John Norton and John Garrard. From Sir John Norton they probably passed to his relatives, the Coppins of Markyate, who held the advowson between 1686 and 1710, and were conveyed, together with the advowson, to the duke of Kent by John Coppin between 1710 and 1716. The duke of Kent is mentioned as the chief landowner in Pulloxhill in 1736, and from him the manors descended to his great-granddaughter Lady Amabel, baroness Lucas, have remained in the de Grey family since that date, the manorial rights now being vested in Lord Lucas and Dingwall. The manors appear to have been amalgamated in the process, and are now known as the manor of Pulloxhill and Greenfield.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:

of pages