Lordship Title of Studham (Dunstable) or Studham cum Barworth ID1289

Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The manor of STUDHAM or STUDHAM-cum-BARWORTH was held by the Priors of Dunstable, but it is not quite clear how or at what date they became possessed of it. Chauncy states that it was granted to the priory by Henry I, but, as we find that Alexander de Stodham in the reign of Henry II granted the church of Studham and half a hide of land there to the priory, it would seem probable that this may have formed the nucleus of the prior's manor, particularly as the capital messuage of the manor seems to have belonged to the parson of the church of Studham. The priory continued to acquire lands in the parish. In 1218 Adam son of John gave land to the priory, while the land of Baldwin of Whitchurch was acquired in 1259, and John Humphrey and Matilda his wife gave a messuage and land in 1260. Robert Ferrer of St. Albans confirmed the lands of Robert de Cheletone, his father, in 1278, and in 1368–9 William Haddon and Roger Harneys granted 4 acres of wood. By 1288 there is evidence that the prior had a manor here to which were attached about ten tenants. In 1246 the prior's house at Studham was burnt, and in 1253 the pigeon-house was rebuilt. In 1330 the prior was impleaded because he claimed view of frankpledge and free warren in Studham. The view he claimed by prescription and the warren by charter of Edward II made in 1323. After the Dissolution the manor was granted in 1544 to William Belfield, formerly the lessee of it and the rectory under the prior. William died in 1559, and was succeeded by his son John, who died about 1590, leaving William his son and heir. William died in 1605, and left Anthony, his eldest son, a minor, to whom livery of the manor was made in 1609. From Anthony the estate came to his son Henry, and he was succeeded by his son Henry, who conveyed the manor in 1722 to Thomas Pickering, probably for a settlement on his wife Helen. Henry died soon after this conveyance was made, and the manor came to his son, a third Henry, who married Elizabeth Jarman. Henry died in 1733, and was succeeded by a fourth Henry, his son, who in 1754 conveyed the manor to Hale Wortham and John Astwood, probably for a settlement upon his sister Ellen wife of William Bayley, to whom he devised the manor by his will dated 15 October 1795. Ellen, by her will dated 8 June 1812, devised it to trustees for sale, and in 1815 Kirkman Gardiner and William Bayley and Anne his wife sold it to John William Earl of Bridgewater, in whose descendant Earl Brownlow it is now vested. Part of the Belfield estate went to Mr. W. Parkinson, who died in 1820. His daughter married the Rev. T. W. Mead, vicar of Studham and rector of Whipsnade, and after his death in 1849 the land was bought by Earl Brownlow, and Studham House, where Mr. Mead had lived, was considerably enlarged. It was for a long time the residence of Lord W. Compton, afterwards Marquess of Northampton, and later of the Ladies Osborn. It was purchased in 1900 by Major J. Y. Stephen, who sold it in 1906 to Mr. E. Alexander. The latter changed the name to Barwythe House.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:

of pages