Lordship Title of Studleys ID1290

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The manor of STUDLEYS in Wootton, held of the barony of Bedford, originated in the subinfeudation of lands by the Beauchamps to the St. Edwards. The first mention of the family occurs in 1224, when Alice widow of Hugh St. Edward was confirmed in her dower by William de Beauchamp, but the manor passed out of the possession of this family in less than a century, as Joan the daughter of John St. Edward and Alice his wife, upon whom this estate was settled in 1305, carried it in marriage to her husband Thomas Studley, who was holding in her right in 1318. In 1330 Thomas claimed to hold a view of frankpledge for this manor, and in 1337 he brought an action against the Abbot of Ramsey for having trespassed upon his land and done damage to the value of £20. Thomas died in 1342, leaving a son Thomas (fn. 82); but before his death he appears to have conveyed the manor to trustees, from whom it was purchased in 1389 by Newnham Priory, to whom Edward III had granted licence to acquire lands in mortmain to the value of £20 a year. At this date the manor consisted of one messuage, two cottages, 18½ a. 1 r. of land, 3 a. 1 r. of meadows, 7½ acres of pasture, 17 acres of wood and 16s. rent, while 12 acres of land, part of this property, had already been acquired from Thomas Studley in 1341. The manor then follows a descent similar to that of Canons (q. v.), with which it was valued in 1535 and afterwards annexed to the honour of Ampthill. The site of the manor was granted in 1610 to John Eldred for a term of sixty years, but the manor was reserved by the Crown and was mortgaged in 1628 to Edward Ditchfield and others, trustees of the City of London, in return for loans obtained by the king. Studleys Manor was subsequently bought by Richard Button, who held it jointly with Canons in 1637, since which date the history of both manors is identical.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages