Lordship Title of Sudbury ID1291

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The Domesday tenant was Osbern, who had succeeded Ulfech, a steersman of King Edward; he seems to have been followed at some time in the following century by a family who took the name of de Sudbury or Subiry from their estate. In 1214 Earl David, representing the honour of Huntingdon, received a quitclaim from Wischard Ledit of all right in the lands and services of Roger de Sudbury. Next mention of the family has been found in 1286–7, when William son of William de Sudbury claimed view of frankpledge and freedom from the hundred and county court in his manor of Sudbury as of right immemorial. At this time William le Moyne and Juliana his wife held Sudbury in dower. William de Sudbury died before 1302–3, at which date Margery his widow and Juliana, also a widow, were assessed at half a fee. Margery died in 1315, leaving a son John to inherit the manor. His name appears in 1316 under Sudbury 'villata,' and in 1318 as holding a moiety of a fee, value 40s., of the honour of Huntingdon. In 1324, together with his wife Joan, he made a settlement of the manor, and was summoned in 1330 to prove his right to a view; he did not appear in answer to the summons, and the liberties were taken into the king's hands, being restored on payment of a fine. John de Sudbury died in 1333–4 and his wife Joan in the following year. The estate at this time included a capital messuage, a broken-down dove-cot, a garden, 200 acres of arable land, 6 acres of meadow and 20 acres of wood. The rents of free tenants amounted to 36s., and there were 3 lb. of pepper rents. The manor also included an island in the Ouse containing half an acre, from which the reeds were cut at the Feast of the Purification, and were worth yearly 2s. William de Sudbury was their son and heir. He was assessed for a feudal aid in 1346, and died in 1348, leaving William, a child of thirteen, to succeed him. Katherine his widow had the custody of the manor in 1351, but an alienation took place before 1376, when the manor was conveyed by Thomas Ruggerwyk and Margery his wife to John Ragon, kt., and others. This family (who held in Bromham, q.v.) held the manor till 1442, when Elizabeth widow of Reginald Ragon granted it to Thomas Aydrop. It next passed to John Fray, Chief Baron of the Exchequer, who died seised in 1461. Of his four daughters, Katherine wife of Humphrey Stafford acquired Sudbury Manor. She died in 1482, leaving an infant son Humphrey. In 1555, together with Elizabeth his wife, he made a settlement of Sudbury on Sir William Stafford, kt., possibly his son. Sir William Stafford died in 1606, and the inquisition then taken refers to his son and heir William, aged two and three-quarter years, his daughters Bridget, Elizabeth and Mary, for whom portions had to be raised, and his brothers John, Walter and Anthony. Shortly after his death the manor passed to Charles Bolle, who settled it by fine in 1616, preparatory to a sale to Roland Squire, who owned at his death in 1644 'parcel of the manor of Sudbury, or lez Sudbury grounds, late the possession of Humphrey Stafford,' and a free fishery bought in 1617 from Sir Charles Bolle, kt., and Richard Cracroft. It thus became attached to and absorbed in the principal manor of Eaton Socon (q.v.), and henceforward follows the same descent. No further reference to its name has been found.
Other Information:
Manorial Counsel Limited has created a new legal right to bring the titles of this lordship back into use.
Listed in the Domesday Book:
Yes

of pages