Lordship Title of Swineshead ID1295

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
In 1086 the men of Huntingdonshire swore that King Edward gave Swineshead to Earl Siward of Northumbria (c. 1055) with sake and soke, 'save that (the men) paid geld in the hundred and went against the enemy with them.' This entry is of high importance, for it suggests that the men of an immunist would normally pay their geld in his manor as well as follow his banner to the fyrd. Instead of passing to Waltheof son of Siward, it would seem that this property became annexed as sokeland to Earl Harold's manor of Kimbolton, and in 1086 3½ hides were held of that soke, then in the possession of William de Warenne, by a certain Eustace, who is probably the well-known Sheriff of Huntingdonshire. From 1227 to about 1293 it was held of the Bohun family, Earls of Hereford and Essex, but about the latter year the Bohuns became seised of the property, and hence-forward it was held in chief of the king. The earliest tenants of whom mention has been found bear the name of the manor. Walter de Swineshead in 1163 is recorded as owing 2 marks for a trespass in the king's forests; possibly this is the same Walter de Swineshead who granted land to the priory of Chicksands. Another Walter de Swineshead was one of the jurors summoned for the determination of the boundaries of the king's Huntingdonshire forest in 1244. It then reverted to Humphrey de Bohun Earl of Hereford and Essex, the overlord, who granted it for a term of years to Geoffrey de Skeffington, from whom it passed to Isabel la Erchtdehene, who in 1276 sublet it to William de Castre for four years. In 1279 Walter son of Ralf de Swineshead was a minor, and William de Castre as his guardian held the Swineshead property as one knight's fee. No further mention has been found of Walter, but in 1290 his mother Isabella sued the Prior of Huntingdon and Peter de Herdwick for pasturing live stock on land of hers in Swineshead, which they claimed to be common land. Three years later, on the outlawry of Robert de Swineshead, probably a brother of Walter, for felony, the manor of Swineshead came into the king's hands for a year and a day. By 1294 it had reverted to Humphrey de Bohun, who, on his departure for Gascony on the king's service, in that year granted it (here assessed at 2 carucates) for life to Bartholomew de Enfield, who was accompanying him. The reversion of the manor was conveyed in 1315 by the said Humphrey to his son William de Bohun, afterwards Earl of Northampton. The further history of this manor is until 1610 the same as that of Hardwick Manor in Tilbrook parish (q.v.). In 1610 Sir James Wingfield received a lease of Swineshead, while five years later the reversion was granted to Sir Henry Montagu. Sir Henry was in 1626 created first Earl of Manchester; his son Edward, the well-known Parliamentarian general, succeeded him, whilst his grandson Charles, afterwards first Duke of Manchester, was lord of Swineshead Manor in 1684. The manor has remained in the hands of the Dukes of Manchester down to the present day.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
Yes

of pages