Lordship Title of Tidmarsh ID1647

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The manor probably belonged towards the end of the 12th century to Hugh de Tidmarsh, whose son John died seised of 2 carucates of land there before 1222. The custody of this land and of John's son Geoffrey was granted to Piers the son of Herbert, one-third of the estate being assigned in dower to Geoffrey's mother, Maud de Berners. Early in 1223, however, a certain Gunnora de Bendenges appeared and claimed dower out of the manor as the widow of John; whereupon Piers, not unnaturally, sought judgement in the king's court whether he were bound to assign dower to two widows of the same man. A suit then took place between Gunnora and Maud, who was at that time the wife of Ellis de Pokeslegh. Maud at first pleaded that Gunnora had never been lawfully married to John, but on the second day she and her husband did not appear in court, and judgement was given in favour of Gunnora, who had apparently been able to prove her marriage in the ecclesiastical court. As, however, Geoffrey received the inheritance the dispute was revived on his coming of age in 1236, for Gunnora maintained that the true heir of John was her daughter Juliane. It was eventually agreed that the inheritance should be divided, and in 1239 Geoffrey granted to Juliane and her husband, Adam the son of Hervey, a moiety of two-thirds of the manor and mill of Tidmarsh, together with certain lands and the whole of the advowson, in return for a quitclaim from Juliane of all her right in this property. The remaining third, which was still held in dower by Gunnora, was to be divided on her death, when Adam and Juliane were to receive for themselves and the heirs of Juliane two messuages, one of which stood at the end of the vineyard in Tidmarsh and had a garden attached to it, together with one-third of the vineyard and a moiety of the remaining property; the rest of the estate, together with the reversion of the whole should Adam and Juliane die without children, was to remain to Geoffrey and his heirs. Geoffrey was succeeded before 1273 by another John de Tidmarsh, probably his son, who was afterwards Sheriff of Oxfordshire and Berkshire and constable of Oxford Castle. He died about 1300, leaving as his heir his son, a third John. This John died before June 1305, being seised at the time of his death of the whole manor of Tidmarsh, including 'a messuage with a garden without the court which is called Wynhird and used to be assigned to the lady there after the death of her husband.'This seems to show that Juliane de Bendenges had died childless, and that her share of the property had passed, in accordance with the settlement of 1239, to the heirs of Geoffrey. The heir of the third John de Tidmarsh was his son and namesake, whose wardship was granted to Richard de Abingdon; he came of age in 1317. He married Margery de Sunninghill, and in 1329 settled the manor of Tidmarsh on himself and her, with reversion to his son John and contingent remainders to his younger sons Gilbert, William and Nicholas successively. The date at which the fifth John succeeded to the manor is uncertain, but he died seised of it in 1382, leaving as his heir his youngest brother Nicholas. Nicholas died before 1407, in which year Alice de Tidmarsh, then the wife of John Adam, held one-third of the estate in dower. The history of the manor becomes at this point extremely difficult to trace. In 1407 it was in the hands of William Walsingham 'of the Saucerie,' who granted it to John Golafre, from whom it passed before 1428 to Thomas Rothwell. Isabel, the widow of Thomas Rothwell, died in 1477 seised of the estate, which had been settled upon her and her second husband, John Lawley, for their lives. Her heir was Robert Lenham, great-grandson of Margaret sister of Thomas Rothwell. Robert Lenham died in 1491; his wife Margaret survived him, and held the manor till her death in 1498, when she was succeeded by her son Henry Lenham, who died in 1517. In 1522 Margaret Warren, widow, sister and heir of William Lenham, Henry's heir, sold the manor to Thomas Englefield, and the property then followed the descent of Englefield (q.v.) until 1585, when it was forfeited to the Crown on the attainder of Sir Francis Englefield. After this date successive leases were granted to Humphrey Foster and George Fytton in 1586 and to Robert Earl of Essex in 1592, but there seems to have been no grant in fee of the manor until 1616, when James I gave it to Thomas Emerson. Emerson sold the estate in 1617 to Sir Peter Vanlore, and it subsequently followed the descent of Tilehurst (q.v.) until 1683, when it was sold by John Curtis and Richard Anderson to Hercules Whiteing, whose co-heirs sold it in 1714 to Samuel Lynne, who died before 1739. Richard Lynne, who seems to have been the son and heir of Samuel, was in possession of the manor in 1746, but it was bought before 1758 by General the Hon. Robert Dalzell. General Dalzell was succeeded by his grandson, Mr. Robert Dalzell, who in 1762 married Miss Jane Dodd, 'an agreeable young lady of large fortune, and with every other accomplishment necessary to adorn the marriage state.' He appears to be the Robert Dalzell who together with John Thomas Robert Dalzell dealt with the manor in 1785. The estate passed to Mr. Charles Butler, who sold it in 1798 to Mr. John Hopkins. Mr. John Edric Murray Hopkins, the great-grandson of Mr. John Hopkins, is the present lord of the manor. There was a mill in Tidmarsh in 1239, a third of which seems to have been held in dower by Gunnora de Bendenges, while the remainder was held in equal parts by Geoffrey de Tidmarsh and by Juliane de Bendenges and Adam the son of Hervey for their lives, with reversion to Geoffrey. This mill, which is described in 1305 as a water corn-mill, worth 30s., and held of the Abbot of Reading by a rent of 20s., seems to have followed throughout the descent of the manor of Tidmarsh. It was said in 1500 to be situated on the Pang burn, and probably stood on the site of the present mill. A fulling-mill is first mentioned in connexion with the manor of Tidmarsh in 1592, when it was included in the lease of the estate to the Earl of Essex. It was granted in 1609 to Edward Ferrers and Frank Philipps, but its history after this date becomes obscure. A fishery worth 6d. was among the appurtenances of the manor of Tidmarsh in 1305 and continued to belong to that estate until it came into the hands of the Englefields. The fisheries in the Kennet and Farley in Englefield and Tidmarsh were attached to Englefield Manor. These were excepted from the lease to Humphrey Foster and George Fytton on the plea that they belonged to Englefield House. There was also a fishery in the 'water called Rockclose.' 'A warren of conys' was mentioned in connexion with the manor of Tidmarsh in 1544, and in 1618 James I granted to Peter Vanlore the right of free warren there, to keep deer, rabbits and pheasants. This right continued to be one of the appurtenances of the manor at least as late as 1656. Free warren in Tidmarsh belonged to the lords of Englefield Manor, who also retained a right of view of frankpledge in Tidmarsh. A dove-house was attached to the manor of Tidmarsh in 1785. Rights of common of pasture in Peatmore in Tidmarsh were leased in the 13th century to the lord of Englefield. Common of pasture was successfully claimed also by Aimery de Mulsho in 1241, and by William of Sulham and Sara his wife in 1242, against Geoffrey de Tidmarsh and Gunnora and Juliane de Bendenges.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages