Lordship Title of Beeches or Upbury ID13802

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The manor of BEECHES or UPBURY, which appears for the first time after the Dissolution, probably originated in the estate held by Dunstable Priory in Pulloxhill of the barony of Cainho. This estate can be traced back to the Domesday manor of Pulloxhill, part of the lands of which were acquired by Woburn, part by Dunstable, the rest being held by William de Faldho, the Buniun family and the prior of St. John of Jerusalem. The amount of the priory's holding was 5 hides in 1285, and the land was apparently leased by the priory to the Pyrot family, for it became known as the Pyrot fee, and c. 1240 William Pyrot was stated to be one of the lords of Pulloxhill, holding, with William de Faldho, one fee. The priory's holding had diminished to 2¼ hides in 1302, at which it remained in 1316, 1346, and in 1428. The priory in 1323 was granted free warren in its demesne lands of Pulloxhill and justified its claim in 1330 by a production of this charter. The lands were worth £2 10s. 5d. in 1342, but the value of the manor had risen to £4 6s. 8d. in 1535. At the Dissolution the manor was taken into the king's hand and was by him probably granted to Simon Fitz, who died seised of the manor in 1543; his eldest son William inherited the manor, but died in 1545 without issue, when it descended to his brother Simon, who had already come into possession of the manor of Bilkemore. The descent of the manor from this date until the early years of the reign of Elizabeth is similar to that of the manor of Blundells in Silsoe in the parish of Flitton (q.v.). In 1552 mention is first made of the manor of Upbury in connexion with that of Beeches. Its origin is not known, but it is invariably mentioned afterwards in conjunction with Beeches manor. Thomas Morgan, who acquired the manors of Bilkemore, Beeches, and Blundells in Silsoe (q.v.), settled the manors of Beeches and Upbury on George Fitz, alias Wharton, in 1567, on the occasion of the latter's marriage with Ann, the eldest daughter of Peter Duckett. George Fitz died in 1608, but before his death he made a settlement of the manors to his own use for life, and after his death to the use of his niece Ánn Briers, wife of Sir William Briers, and her heirs, and then to the use of George Wharton. The manors then followed the same descent as the manors of Pulloxhill and Greenfield (q.v.). The last mention of them occurs in 1700, when John Coppin was lord. They were probably sold by him to the duke of Kent at the same time that the latter acquired the manors of Pulloxhill and Greenfield and the advowson of Pulloxhill Church, and as no separate mention of them again occurs they were probably merged in the larger manors of Pulloxhill and Greenfield. The name of Upbury, however, still survives in Upbury Moat, which marks the site where the manor-house formerly stood.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages