Lordship Title of Bothampstead ID14252

County:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
Other lands known as the manor of BOTHAMPSTEAD (Bokhampstede, Bodenhamsted, xiv cent.; Botenhampstead, xiv and xv cent.; Bottomstead, xvi cent.; Botthamstead, Bottam Hampstead, Bottom, xvi and xvii cent.) passed before 1316 into the hands of John de la Beche, who had a grant of free warren here on 10 May in that year, which was confirmed on 16 August in the following year. He held these lands jointly with his wife Isabel, but his lands were for a time taken into the king's hands in 13 23–4. They seem, however, to have been restored to him, for he died in 1328 seised of a capital messuage and land here held of the lord of Peasemore, being followed by his son Thomas, then aged fifteen. This land passed with the manor of Bradfield (q.v.), and Edward Langford died seised of it in 1474, leaving it by will to William, his younger son, with reversion respectively to John and Edward, sons of his elder son Thomas. Thomas died seised in 1493, leaving a son John, whose daughter Anne married William Stafford. William and Anne apparently sold the manor to Sir Richard Nevill Lord Latimer in 1522. It was conveyed in 1560 by Sir John Nevill Lord Latimer and John Stampe to John Gwyn, apparently in trust. At Lord Latimer's death in 1577 his estates were divided among his four daughters, this manor passing to his eldest daughter Catherine widow of Sir Henry Percy, eighth Earl of Nor:humberland. In 1586 she settled it, under the title of the manors of 'Bottamhampstead' and Hampstead Norris, on her marriage with Francis Fyton, and this conveyance was confirmed by a patent in which the manors are called 'Botthamsted' and Hampstead Norris. In 1592 she and her second husband conveyed this estate to fresh trustees, and she died on 28 October 1597 seised of the property, which passed to her husband for life, with remainder to her son Henry ninth Earl of Northumberland. This estate seems to have been sold to Sir Peter Vanlore, who died on 6 September 1628 seised of the manor and lordship of Bottom and the manor of Hampstead Norris. It was then divided among his heirs, as was his manor of Speen (q.v.), and many references to transactions by these heirs have been found relating to the manor of Bottom and Hampstead Norris until 1667, after which the descent is difficult to trace. During the 18th century, however, the manor appears to have come into the possession of the Berties, and belonged in 1806 to John Andrea Gallini. It afterwards followed the descent of Hampstead Norris, passing to the Eystons, Bowleys and Browns, and so to Lord Overstone and his daughter Lady Wantage, who conveyed it to her cousin Mr. A. K. Loyd, the present owner, in 1912.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages