Lordship Title of Carlton Hall or Staysmore ID13823

Title Type:
Previous Lords:
A third manor, that of CARLTON HALL or STAYSMORE, is found in Carlton at the beginning of the 16th century. The first mention of it occurs in 1528–9, when William Staysmore died seised of Carlton Manor, held of Nicholas Lord Vaux as of his manor of Carlton. His son John Staysmore held the manor in 1530, when he conveyed it to trustees previous to a recovery. It next reappears in 1609 as the property of Philip Dobbs. He was a recusant, who for nine years had not attended any 'church, chapel or usual place of Common Prayer.' In consequence he was heavily fined, and in default of payment two-thirds of his manor of Carlton Hall was granted by letters patent to Francis Duncombe for forty-one years. Philip Dobbs died in 1611 and was, according to the entry in the parish register, buried in the night-time. It has not been ascertained to whom this manor passed after his death, but in 1640 John Earl of Peterborough conveyed it by fine to Sir Thomas Alston, and in 1670 Henry Earl of Peterborough, who succeeded his father in 1643, again conveyed it to the same trustee. Carlton Hall appears to have changed hands about this time, for in 1687 it was the property of Edward Reynolds and Frances his wife. From them the manor passed to Francis Reynolds, probably their son, by whom it was heavily mortgaged. He died intestate, and the manor fell to Charles Cutts, the mortgagee, who sold it to Uriah Bithray. He died in 1748, leaving Carlton Hall to his son Thomas Bithray, from whom it had passed by 1764 to his nephews, Charles and William Bithray. According to Harvey it next passed to Mr. Palmer, an American merchant, who sold it to Thomas Battams. The latter pulled down the old house, and erected a new one about 1805. George Battams, grandson of Thomas Battams, sold it to Earl de Grey, whose representative, Lord Lucas and Dingwall, at present holds the manor.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:

of pages