Lordship Title of Foxleys ID14103

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The reputed manor of FOXLEYS (Pukemere, xiii cent.; Pokemere, xiv cent.) seems to have been formed out of the various holdings in Bray acquired in the 14th century by Sir John de Foxley. Some of this land had belonged before 1266 to Henry Wade, who held 22 acres of purpresture in his own right and 1 hide of land of his wife's inheritance. Between 1273 and 1275 Geoffrey de Picheford, constable of Windsor, demised 30 acres in Pukemere to Wade and his heirs for 14s. 8d. yearly, and in 1283 Edward I granted the same land to him for payment of 15s. yearly. After Henry's death in 1288 29s. 8d. yearly was exacted from his son and heir John, 'as if the demise and grant had been for different holdings, which they were not'; and it was not until 1300 that the king in response to John's complaints ordered that he should be acquitted of the said 14s. 8d. from the time of the grant. John Wade died in 1310, leaving as his heir his brother Henry, who alienated the property in 1313 to John de Foxley and his wife Constance. John de Foxley had already acquired some land in the parish, and in 1316 this was increased by a grant of all the assarts in the forest of Windsor and parish of Bray then held by Margaret the queen for her life. In the following year he received a charter of free warren in all his demesne lands in Bray, and in 1321 he had licence to make a park at Pokemere. In 1319 he was granted, 'in consideration of his great and meritorious services, leave … to live in his own house as often as should seem good to him either for rest or for attention to private affairs.' He died about 1324, leaving his lands to his son Thomas. Thomas lived until 1360, when he was succeeded by his son John, who was in as much favour with Edward III as his grandfather with Edward II. Sir John de Foxley had married about 1331 Maud Brocas, by whom he had two daughters, Katherine, afterwards the wife of John de Warbleton, and Margaret, who married Robert Bullock; but he also had a son Thomas by Joan Martin, whom he married after Maud's death. After Sir John's death about 1378 Thomas succeded to the manor, but his right was disputed in 1412 by William Warbleton, the grandson of Katherine, and it was probably for this reason that he obtained from Margaret Hertyngton, daughter and heir of Margaret Bullock, a quitclaim of her rights in 1429. He died in 1436, leaving as his heir his daughter Elizabeth the wife of Thomas Uvedale. Elizabeth Uvedale had a son Henry, who died childless in 1469 during his father's lifetime, and two daughters, Elizabeth and Agnes, of whom nothing further is known. It is, however, possible that Elizabeth the wife of Charles Ripon, who dealt with the manor by fine in 1491, was one of these daughters. She had previously been married to William Rekys, and had by him a son John, who was a party to a fine of 1498 by which she quitclaimed her interest in the manor to William Bishop of Lincoln and other trustees of Sir Reynold Bray. Joan the wife of John Rekys released her right to the trustees at the same time. She was, perhaps, a daughter of Agnes Uvedale. In the following year a quitclaim was also obtained from William Sculle and John Sculle and Joyce his wife, who seems to have had some interest in Foxleys. Sir Reynold Bray bequeathed the manor after the death of his wife Katherine to Edmund Bray, who was accordingly enfeoffed by the trustees in 1509. His claim, however, was disputed in 1510 by Sir William Sandys, afterwards Lord Sandys of the Vyne, and Margery his wife, the niece of Sir Reynold Bray. William Lord Sandys died seised of the manor in 1542, leaving as his heir his son Thomas, who was succeeded about 1560 by his grandson William. William's son and namesake, who succeeded him about 1623, died childless in 1629, leaving the estate to his half-sister Elizabeth the wife of Sir Edwyn Sandys, son and heir of Miles Sandys of Latimers, Bucks. The manor of Foxleys seems to have been settled on their youngest son Henry, who was in possession of it in 1630 during his elder brother's lifetime. He sold it in 1639 to Henry Murrey. Henry Murrey left his estates at his death to his four daughters and co-heirs, Jane the wife of Sir John Bowyer, Elizabeth, who married firstly Randolf Egerton and secondly Charles Egerton, Mary the wife of Roger Bradshaigh and Anne the wife of Robert Pierrepont. In 1681 Randolf Egerton and his wife bought the share of the Bradshaighs, and by 1700 the whole manor had been acquired by Elizabeth and her second husband Charles Egerton. In 1696 they settled a third part on Anne Egerton, Elizabeth's daughter by her first husband, and in 1700 granted an eighth to their own daughter Jane. She probably died childless, as the whole manor was afterwards in the possession of her half-sister's descendants. Anne Egerton married William Paulet, by whom she had a daughter and heir Henrietta, who married William Townshend. Their son Charles Townshend, created Lord Bayning of Foxley in 1797, was the owner of the manor in 1756. He sold it shortly afterwards to — Stokes of Ryll Court, near Exmouth, who died before 1763, leaving two daughters, Catherine Stokes of Warfield and Susanna the wife of William Mackworth Praed, upon whom the manor was settled by her mother and sister. In 1765 Mackworth Praed and his wife sold Foxleys to Henry Vansittart, M.P. for Reading. He was succeeded by his eldest son Henry, whose only son Henry held the manor. He was followed by Teresa Vansittart, who married her cousin Arthur Newcomen of Kirkleatham Hall, Yorkshire. Their eldest son succeeded and disposed of the estate about 1870 to Mr. W. H. Grenfell, now Lord Desborough.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages