Lordship Title of Hinwick or Hinwick Hall ID13846

Title Type:
Previous Lords:
In 1086 Turstin the Chamberlain held 1 hide 3 virgates of land in Hinwick, which later became known as HINWICK MANOR or HINWICK HALL, and had formerly belonged to Godwin Frambolt, a thegn. Until the 17th century this manor followed the same descent as that which Turstin held in Pavenham (q.v.), and, like that estate, became part of the barony of Bedford. It is first called a manor in 1269, when, besides the 1 hide 3 virgates of the Survey, it included a messuage with garden, buildings, and dove-house. John de Pabenham received a grant of free warren in Hinwick in 1312. From the Pabenhams Hinwick passed by marriage to the Tyringhams, but it is not until 1636 that its history diverges from that of Pavenham. Sir Thomas Tyringham died in that year, and his will, dated 1636, recites that he had made over certain lands to Edward Lord Gorges and Sir Robert Gorges to satisfy his debts, and that to his son John, his residuary legatee, he left all his farm lands, to be sold with all convenient speed. In compliance with these instructions, Hinwick Hall was sold in 1638 to John, William and Thomas Alston for £3,900. In 1641 they sold a detached portion of this estate to Richard Child (see Podington Manor), and in 1653 they parted with a further parcel to Richard Orlebar, lord of manors in Podington and Hinwick. The Alstons do not appear to have sold the whole estate to the Orlebars, for as late as 1765 they were declared to hold land in Podington; but in 1671 Richard Orlebar held what is described as Hinwick Hall (although, as shown above, it did not represent the whole of the earlier property called by this name), in which year, together with Samuel Cotton, he alienated it to Creswell Levinz. He, who was knighted in 1678, was made attorneygeneral in 1679, in which year he alienated this property to William Livesay, whose sister Elizabeth he had married. Paradine Livesay son of William Livesay sold Hinwick Hall in 1706 to his uncle, Major-General John Livesay, a former governor of Jamaica. He died in 1717, when Hinwick Hall passed to his nephew John Livesay, on whose death in 1751 his youngest son St. Andrew Livesay inherited the property. He died in 1767 without issue, and Hinwick passed to his three sisters, of whom Jane wife of Richard Wagstaffe occupied Hinwick Hall in 1783. This property was subsequently sold to Mr. John Goosey, a baker at Podington, and after passing through various owners was purchased by William Augustus Orlebar. It is at present the property of Mr. Gilbert Robinson.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:

of pages