Lordship Title of Hockliffe ID14057

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
A second HOCKLIFFE MANOR appears in this parish in the 14th century, of which the origin is doubtful, though a document of 1346 implies that it owed its origin to the division of the Malherbe property among female heirs. The first mention of it has been found in 1314, when Henry de Adingrave and Ellen his wife conveyed 90 acres of arable land, 8 of meadow, 5 of pasture and 40s. rent to John de Adingrave. Henry was part holder of the vill in 1316, and in 1342 Thomas de Adingrave, his son, transferred the moiety of a manor in Hockliffe to Thomas Fermbaud, Alice his wife, and the heirs of Alice, who was probably a de Adingrave. Thomas Fermbaud was assessed for feudal aid here in 1346, but no further mention has been found of this family in connexion with Hockliffe, Thomas Strange holding the property in 1428. A gap here occurs in continuity of descent, the manor reappearing in 1489 as the property of John Broughton, by whose family it was retained till 1519. It is difficult, save by process of elimination, to identify it with any certainty with Hockliffe Manor, which appears nine years later belonging to William Staysmore, who is described as holding it of Dunstable Priory. John Staysmore, son of William, made a settlement of it in 1532 on William Sheppard and Simon Fitz. In 1549 Hockliffe Manor, then the property of Sir William Powlett and Agnes his wife, was alienated by them without licence to Christopher Estwick, which omission was remedied in 1572. Christopher Estwick still held the manor in 1591, and died c. 1599, when his son Christopher Estwick was granted the freedom of his father's lands, which included Hockliffe Manor, of which subsequent trace is lost. Reference has been found to the Hospital of St. John in this parish as early as 1227, when Turold was instituted priest. In 1251 the master of the hospital owned 2 virgates of land and a free tenement in Hockliffe, for which he owed suit at the court of the lord of the manor. His estate in this parish in 1471 was declared to be 60 acres of arable and 3 of meadow land. At the Dissolution the site of the hospital was granted in 1545 to George Acworth and Edward Butler, from whom it passed almost immediately to William Groome, whose son William was engaged in litigation with his nephew John Groome about the property in 1567. William Groome enfeoffed Thomas Dolt, whose representative, Richard Dolt, held the hospital in 1570. In 1590 William Tipper and Robert Dawe, the well-known 'fishing grantees,' received grant from the Crown at the request of Edward Dier. This property had again changed hands by 1639, when Thomas Impey died seised, leaving this 'capital messuage' to his son Samuel. Lysons states that by the close of the 18th century all trace of the old building had disappeared.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages