Lordship Title of Ilsley ID14225

Title Type:
Previous Lords:
In 1086 Henry de Ferrers held 3½ hides in Ilsley with Roger as sub-tenant. In the first half of the 13th century this fee was held with Frilsham in Faircross Hundred (q.v.) by Oliver d'Eincourt, husband of Maud Peche. Subfeoffment of a whole or part was apparently made to the Ilsley or Hildesley family, of whom Reginald de East Ilsley was holding lands in the parish about the middle of the same century, for which he owed suit of court at Maud Peche's court of Frilsham. This holding, which continued in the Hildesley family, is called the manor of ILSLEY in the 18th century. In 1428 John Hildesley was holding a quarter of a knight's fee which another John Hildesley had formerly held, and later in the century the property was held by William Hildesley. The principal seat of the Hildesley family was Crowmarsh Gifford in Oxfordshire, and in the 17th century Little Stoke. The William Hildesley of the reign of Henry VII held land both at Ilsley and Beenham, and was succeeded by a son and heir Edward, who is described as of Crowmarsh Gifford, though the original seat of the family at Ilsley remained with him and his descendants. His younger brother John, yeoman of the longbows to Henry VIII, took part at least of the family estate of Beenham. William Hildesley, the son and heir of Edward, married Margaret Stonor, daughter of John Stonor of North Stoke, and died in 1576. On her mother's death in January 1606–7 the youngest daughter Katherine placed a brass to her parents' memory in Ilsley Church. The Hildesleys adhered to the old religion, and Walter Hildesley, who had succeeded his father William in 1576, soon came under the operation of the penal laws. On the Recusant Roll of 1592 his Berkshire estate, which included 'two-thirds of Illesley or Hildesley Farm' and other property, is returned as leased to Charles Pagett, a groom of the queen's chamber, as long as it should be in the queen's hands. Walter Hildesley was apparently succeeded by his younger brother William, who died seised of Ilsley Farm in 1623, leaving a son William. He as a recusant was forced to mortgage his lands, for which his mortgagees compounded in 1650. William Hildesley was succeeded by his son Francis of Ilsley and Little Stoke, who died in March 1665, leaving a son and heir William, eleven years old. He and his younger brother Martin were present at the reopening of St. Amand's Chapel, East Hendred, in the autumn of 1687. William Hildesley was certainly dead by 1706, and his widow Mary had married John Grimsditch. The last William Hildesley left no male issue, and his estate devolved on three co-heirs, Mary wife of Robert Eyston, third son of George Eyston of East Hendred, Agnes, who married Peter Webbe, and a third who died unmarried. This last was probably the Emerita Letitia Hildesley who with Robert Vernon and his wife Frances and with Peter Webbe sold 'the manor of Ilsley alias Hildesley' to John Head in 1718. His successor John Head, who died in 1803, left this manor to his nephew, who apparently sold it to a Mr. Deare, whose brother Captain Deare was holding in 1844.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:

of pages