Lordship Title of Ives ID14107

Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The reputed manor of IVES (Ivestenement, xiv cent.; Yvyes, xv cent.; Ivez, xvi cent.) seems to have been like Hyndens originally a holding in the royal manor of Bray, which was called after its tenants. This family had been settled in the parish at least as early as 1248, when the name of Thomas Yve occurs in a local charter. Walter Ive died in 1296, leaving as his heir John Ive, who seems to have granted the holding in his own lifetime to Thomas his son by his first wife Idonia. Thomas Ive died childless in 1334, and in the following year John Ive and Denise his wife alienated the tenement to Stephen de Abyndon. It afterwards passed to John Brid or Bird of Maidenhead, whose widow and executrix Eleanor held it in 1376. In the following year it was bought by William Montagu Earl of Salisbury, who obtained at the same time licence to grant it in mortmain to his foundation at Bisham. He died before the licence could take effect, but it was renewed to his son and heir. The land subsequently remained in the possession of the priory till the Dissolution, and was regranted to the new abbey of Henry the Eighth's foundation in 1537. It was granted to Anne of Cleves for her life in 1541, and was afterwards held of the Crown by William Chamber, who bequeathed it in 1559 to his wife Joan for life. Between 1570 and 1609 it was held by various lessees, but was finally granted to George Salter and John Williams by James I. They sold it in 1617 to Sir William Garway, whose son and namesake sold it in 1649 to John Whitfield. Joseph Whitfield, the grandson of the purchaser, was owner in 1696. He was succeeded by his niece Hannah, the daughter of his younger brother John Whitfield. She married John Powney, whose grandson Penyston Portlock Powney was seised in 1770 and died at Ives in 1794. The estate afterwards passed to Thomas Wilson, who was living at Ives Place in 1810. His only son Thomas died in 1824, and after his death in 1829 (the property was inherited by his son-in-law, Lieutenant William Innes Pocock, R.N., who sold it in 1830 to Mr. Stephens. It is now the property of Lord Desborough.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:

of pages