Lordship Title of Le Pryors or Le Monkes ID13875

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The priory of St. Neots owned a manor in Turvey distinguished in the 16th century by the name of LE PRYORS or LE MONKES MANOR. The cartulary of St. Neots furnishes abundant evidence of numerous small grants of land from the various landowners in Turvey during the 12th and 13th centuries; the de Alnetos, Mordaunts, Maunsells, le Eyrs are all found as benefactors. In 1278–9 the prior held in all 100 acres of land of which the jurors declared they had not been able to discover the mode of acquisition and tenure. The prior claimed view of frankpledge in the manor in 1331. An inquisition taken in 1602 states that in 1536 the prior, John Randes, and the monks of St. Neots conveyed their manor and divers lands, tenements and hereditaments in Turvey to John Lord Mordaunt and his heirs. The date of this transfer is a little later than that in which the returns for the Valor were made, under which returns Turvey Manor was given as belonging to St. Neots, the rent being valued at 100s. The manor as well as the advowson (q.v.) certainly seems to have come into Lord Mordaunt's possession at this time, though there may have been some irregularity in the method of acquisition, for it was this Lord Mordaunt who induced the Prioress of Harrold and her 'foolish young folk' to break open the coffers containing the charters of the priory, and to seal a writing in Latin of which they did not understand a word, but were told it was merely the lease of an impropriate benefice. One further mention has been found of this manor after 1602, when, as described above, it was in possession of Lewis Lord Mordaunt. This is in 1621, when the whole of the St. Neots property, that is to say, the manor, the advowson, and moiety of the rectory, was granted by letters patent to Sir Henry Spiller, Robert Treswell and Christopher Vernon, possibly as trustees for Lord Mordaunt, whose right may have been challenged. In Court Rolls of 1705 and later reference is found to these lands under the name of 'the Priory Division.'
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages