Lordship Title of Lollington ID14152

Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The manor of LOLLINGDON was held by a freeman named Elmaer in the reign of King Edward the Confessor. In 1086 it was in the hands of Richard Puingiant. (fn. 59) Lollingdon had been included in the ferm of Cholsey, but was separated from it during his tenure. (fn. 60) There is no evidence to show the ownership of the manor until the 13th century. Herbert de Shortecombe died seised of 2 marks rent in Lollingdon at some date prior to 1240, when his nephew and heir Robert de Shortecombe, then a minor, remitted that rent to Bartholomew Peche in exchange for the reversion of land in Sparsholt. Bartholomew's son and heir Herbert Peche died about 1272 holding the manor of Lollingdon of Robert de Shortecombe in free socage by 1d. yearly. The Shortecombe mesne lordship appears to have lapsed very shortly after the death of Herbert Peche, whose son and heir Bartholomew held Lollingdon of the king in chief as one-tenth of a knight's fee. He died seised about 1283, leaving his son, another Bartholomew, a boy of three and a half, as his heir. In 1327 Joan, the widow of Bartholomew Peche, impleaded John Peche concerning an agreement made between them as to the manor of Lollingdon. The younger Bartholomew was knighted and his son John is mentioned in 1349, when the manor of Lollingdon was held for life by Elizabeth Edward, by a certain Joan and by William son of Joan. This John Peche may be identified with the Sir John Peche for the payment of whose debts his son John pledged the manor of Lollingdon at the time of his marriage with Lady Isabel Mounbocher, daughter of Sir Richard Willoughby. In 1392 Lollingdon was granted by trustees to William de Wykeham, Bishop of Winchester, who immediately annexed it to his manor of Brightwell. In 1327 the bailiff of the Abbot of Reading stated that the manor of Lollingdon was in the liberty belonging to the abbey and claimed to have jurisdiction there. It does not appear, however, that Lollingdon had been a sub-manor held under Cholsey since the first grant to Richard Puingiant, and therefore it could not have been in the abbot's liberty and reconstructed hundred of Reading. In the beginning of the 13th century Lollingdon was still in the hundred of Eletsford as at the date of the Domesday Survey. In 1275 Lucy Peche, probably the widow of Herbert Peche, and the heir of Herbert had free warren in Lollingdon. In 1086 there were three mills on the king's manor of Cholsey. Mills at Cholsey were mentioned in 1570 and 1694. At the present day there is a water-mill in the parish, to the north-east of the village of Cholsey.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:

of pages