Lordship Title of Studham ID14082

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
In the middle of the 13th century Walter de Basingham held half a fee in Studham of John Marshal. By 1283 it had come to William de Botlesford, and he was succeeded before 1294–5 by Walter son of John de Botlesford, who held half a fee in Studham in 1302–3. He was succeeded about 1316 by Robert de Botlesford, who was lord of Studham in 1320. Geoffrey son of Robert de Botlesford succeeded before 1343 and sold the manor of Studham in that year to Henry son of Sir Bartholomew de Burghersh the elder, and in 1346 Henry de Burghersh held half a fee in Studham. Henry died in 1350, and was succeeded by his brother Bartholomew, who in 1355 died seised of 1 carucate in Studham which he held for a third of a knight's fee, and left his son Bartholomew his heir. John Hawle conveyed the manor in 1366–7 to William Clipsham, and in 1428 it was held by Nicholas Carew of Beddington as half a fee in Studham, which Henry de Burghersh once held. Nicholas leased it in 1435 for three years to Sir John Holland and others, and left it by will dated 1458 to his wife Margaret for life with remainder to his second son James. It seems to have passed out of the hands of the family of Carew before the death of James in 1492–3, and to have come into the possession of William Lucy and Anne his wife, who also held half the manor of the Hyde (q.v.), for in 1549 they conveyed half the manor of Studham to Sir Robert Dormer, who died in 1552 and was succeeded by his son Sir William Dormer. William died seised of the manor in 1575, leaving a son and heir Robert, who also died seised in 1616, and, as his son William had died a few months before, he was succeeded by his grandson Robert, who was then nearly six years old. Robert Dormer afterwards became Earl of Carnarvon, and in 1632–3 he and his wife Anna Sophia conveyed the manor, probably for the purposes of a settlement, to Sir Benjamin Rudyerd and Samuel Turner. Robert's son Charles second Earl of Carnarvon married Elizabeth Capell in 1653, and a settlement was made of the manor in this year. Charles and Elizabeth had two sons who died young, and three daughters, one of whom, Elizabeth, became the third wife of Philip Stanhope second Earl of Chesterfield and brought this manor to her husband's family. Elizabeth died in 1679 and Philip in 1713, and they were succeeded by their eldest son Philip, who married Lady Elizabeth Savile, one of the daughters of George Marquess of Halifax, by whom he left issue four sons and two daughters. His second son William married Susanna Rudge, and in the settlement made upon his marriage this manor was limited by the name of Studham and Hudnall to him for life, with remainder to Susanna his wife and to his sons in tail male. The manor and estate were sold in 1738 by the trustees of this settlement, under an Act of Parliament of 5 George II, by the name of the manor or lordship of Hudnall, to Elizabeth Dyson of Charterhouse Square, London widow. Elizabeth, by her will dated 25 February 1743, devised the estate to her son Jeremiah, clerk of the House of Commons, and he by will dated 26 January 1775 devised it to his son Jeremiah and others in trust to be sold for the benefit of his younger children. In 1778 Jeremiah Dyson conveyed it to William Bray. It was afterwards sold to Thomas Poynder of Bishopsgate Street, London, of whom it was purchased in 1808 by John William Earl of Bridgewater, from whom it has descended to the present Earl Brownlow.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages