Lordship Title of West Ilsley ID14227

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
In the 13th century Agnes de Ponte Audomar, daughter of Henry de Ponte Audomar, was holding a fee in Ilsley under the Earl of Winchester. This probably represents an early feoffment by one of the Beaumonts, who were lords of Pontaudemer, to another branch of the family. Agnes, who married Ralph de Neirnut, had an estate there as late as 1251–2. Later she granted all her lands, rents and tenements in West Ilsley to the Prior of Sandleford, who is returned as tenant in 1270. In 1313 the priory obtained a confirmation of the grant and of a further gift from William de Cherleton. The Prior of Sandleford and Richard Fukeram were said to be holding the vill of West Ilsley in 1316. The later history of this fee has not been traced with any certainty. The priory of Sandleford was dissolved about 1480, but there is no proof that the manor of West Ilsley was then in its possession. In 1428 the lady of Ramsey was returned as holding half a fee which Richard de Penley formerly held. As, however, there is no reason to think that the whole of Penley's property had not passed to Edington (see above), it is possible that a confusion in the succession of fees has been made here and that a Ramsey had been enfeoffed of the Sandleford manor. Elizabeth's successor Thomas Ramsey died seised of the manor in 1499, leavng an annuity to his daughter Joan Court and the manor itself to his son Thomas, who only survived him ten years. He was succeeded by his son Thomas, then six years of age. Margaret mother of Thomas died in 1516. Thomas, who had married Parnel Baldwin, had a posthumous daughter Elizabeth, born in 1524, two months after his death. Elizabeth married Roger Alford, who made a settlement of the manor in 1573. His death took place before 1587, when Elizabeth and Edward Alford, her son, were dealing with it. After 1631, when Edward Alford (apparently son of the lastmentioned Edward) was holding, no further record of the manor by name has been found. The Morland family have held property in the parish, which may represent this estate, since 1711, when John Morland purchased it from William Smith. John Morland was succeeded in 1726 by his son Benjamin, who in 1761 made over the estate to his son William, who died in 1773. His son William died in 1838 and the latter's son in 1854. A cousin, Edward Henry, purchased the property and left it to his nephew Edward, who died in 1894. His son Walter Edward Thomson owns the reversion after the death of Mrs. Edward Morland.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages