24 Mar Lordship Title of Appleton ID14353
Posted at 08:33h
in
County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The whole of this parish seems at an early date to have formed part of Æaromundeslee,' but by the 10th century the name of APPLETON was already applied to the vill. Although little credence can be given to the charters relating to the early history of Abingdon Abbey, it seems not improbable that land here was actually given by Cissa, an under-king of the West Saxons, to Hæha, the traditional founder of the abbey, at some time during the 7th century. When the house was devastated by the Danes in 871 Æaromundeslee also fell into their hands but it must have been recovered by Alfred the Great, and the part called Appleton was granted by King Edmund in 942 to his thegn Athelstan, by whom it was said to have been restored to the house of Abingdon. No later authentic record of its possession by the abbey has, however, been found. In 1086 both Appleton and Eaton were in the fee of Miles Crispin, one Richard holding under him in Appleton land previously assessed at 5 hides and then at 2½ hides, and held by Halden before the Conquest. Another fee at Appleton of the same assessment was held in 1086 by Berner, nephew of R. de Peroue, of the Bishop of Bayeux's fee. With other lands of Miles Crispin both Appleton and Eaton were afterwards members of the honour of Wallingford (q.v.), doing service at the court leet there once a year.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
Yes