Lordship Title of Begwary or Beggary or Goodwich ID1020

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
The estate known as BEGWARY or BEGGARY or GOODWICH MANOR was held of the Prior of St. Neots by homage and service of 20s. It doubtless originated in the 2 hides and half a virgate of land with woodland for 100 swine which the monks of St. Neots held at Domesday of Richard son of Count Gilbert. The manor acquired its first name from a hamlet which still exists, and of which mention is found in 1240; Goodwich is also called a hamlet in 1276, and at the present day a farm of this name is adjacent to Beggary. A family who took the name of de Beggary were resident here in the 13th and 14th centuries, for in 1317 Joan widow of Richard son of Roger de Beggary confirmed lands in Eaton to Richard de Braybrook, but there is no evidence to connect them with the family of Fitz Hugh, the first tenants of Beggary Manor. In 1374 an inquisition was held as to the property (here described as a messuage, with 100 acres of land in 'la Beggerye') formerly held by William Fitz Hugh. His son John, to whom William had granted them by charter, had been murdered about this time by his wife Elizabeth, and on account of her felony the lands were taken into the king's hands. It was found by this inquisition and a similar one held in 1383 that the right heir was Richard son of William Fitz Hugh. Very little information is available with regard to this family, but they evidently continued to hold Beggary for the next century and a half, for in 1568 Richard Fitz Hugh suffered a recovery of the manor. One of the same name was vouchee in a recovery of 1574, which appears to have involved a transfer to Walter Luke, who belonged to a branch of the Cople family. Walter Luke of 'Begwary' died in 1613, and Nicholas, probably his son, made a settlement of Beggary in 1619. He died in 1622 seised of 'a tenement' in Beggary, and was followed by another Nicholas Luke, who made settlements in 1624 and 1628. Ten years later Richard Fitz Hugh, son and heir of Richard who made the settlement of 1574, acknowledged the right of William Luke to this manor. It seems possible that this property, of which no further mention as a manor has been found, passed to the Stockers, a family for some generations resident in the parish. Richard Stocker, described as of Beggary, died in 1656, and Oliver Stocker in 1667. Lysons says that the manor had long belonged to Thomas Whetham, lord of Wyboston Manor (q.v.), and its site is probably marked by 'Begwary Farm,' in existence at the present day.
Other Information:
Manorial Counsel Limited has created a new legal right to bring the titles of this lordship back into use.
Listed in the Domesday Book:
Yes

of pages