10 Jul Lordship Title of Hartley Dummer or Abor or Erbar ID1504
Posted at 20:04h in
The manor of HARTLEY DUMMER, which has always been included in the hundred of Theale, is not mentioned by name in the Domesday Survey, but it may, perhaps, be identified with that hide in Reading Hundred (out of which Theale Hundred was afterwards formed) which belonged to Swallowfield and had been held, like the capital manor, by Sexi in the time of King Edward. In 1086 it was held by the king. During the first half of the 13th century Richard de Dummer held 1 hide in Hartley by service of a quarter of a knight's fee. He quarrelled with the Abbot of Reading over common of pasture in Grazeley, which he ultimately quitclaimed to the abbey in return for a grant of the land between Fulritham and the Trunkwell road. In 1249 Sir Richard de Dummer granted his land in Hartley, except his meadows called Eldemed and Niwemed and his free men and villeins and their tenements, to Giles Bridport, then Archdeacon of Berkshire and afterwards Bishop of Salisbury. The grant was confirmed by Sir Richard's daughter Alice and her husband Luke Rop, and Bridport bestowed the land on his college of St. Nicholas de Vaux at Salisbury. The college remained in the possession of this estate till the Dissolution, by which time it consisted chiefly of the manor called ERBAR or ARBOR, described as situated 'in the vill of Hartley Dummer in the parishes of Shinfield and Burghfield.' It was granted to Sir John Williams in 1543, and afterwards followed the descent of the manor of Burghfield, appearing as a separate estate until as late as 1700. It probably lay not far from Amners in Burghfield, but the name Erbar now seems to be lost. In 1656 Montagu Earl of Lindsey and Bridget his wife, daughter of Edward Wray and Elizabeth Norreys, conveyed the site of the manor to Anne James, widow.
Manorial Counsel Limited has created a new legal right to bring the titles of this lordship back into use.
Listed in the Domesday Book: