10 Jul Lordship Title of Hinton or Broad Hinton ID1513
Posted at 20:04h in
Until 1844 the district of HINTON was in Wiltshire. Hinton is not mentioned in 1086, but in the 12th century it is found in the possession of the Earls of Salisbury, of whose hundred of Ashridge the three Hintons—Broad Hinton, Hinton Pipard and Hinton Hatch—formed tithings (see account of Ashridge Manor and Hundred under Wokingham). The first mention which has been found of Hinton is in 1166, when Earl Patrick of Salisbury (so created between 1142 and 1149) was holding it. Before the middle of the 13th century it was granted by William Longespée Earl of Salisbury, son and heir of Ela Countess of Salisbury, granddaughter of Earl Patrick, to Henry de Mara, who in 1256 had licence to assart 240 acres of land out of the demesne of his manor of Hinton within the forest of Windsor. This was the manor of HINTON or BROAD HINTON, from which the manor of Hinton Pipard was apparently formed by subinfeudation. Maud daughter and heir of Henry de Mara married Peter de Montfort of Beaudesert, co. Warwick. The manor descended to John, their son, and to his son John, who was killed at Bannockburn in 1314 and was succeeded by his brother Peter. In 1349 Peter de Montfort settled Hinton on himself for life, with reversion to John his illegitimate son for life and remainder to Guy, son of Peter, and Margaret his wife, daughter of Thomas de Beauchamp Earl of Warwick, and contingent remainder in default of issue to the Earl of Warwick. Guy died in his father's lifetime, leaving no issue, so that after the death of Peter and John de Montfort the manor went to the heir of the Earl of Warwick, his son Thomas, who succeeded his father in 1369. In 1396 he forfeited his lands, and Hinton was granted by the king three years later to John Marquess of Dorset. The Earl of Warwick was restored in 1399, and died seised of the manor in 1401. His son Richard Earl of Warwick died seised of it in 1439. Henry Earl of Warwick, who succeeded, demised the manor to John Norreys for life, with reversion to the earl and his heirs. Henry died in 1446, leaving an only daughter Anne, who died in infancy. Her heir was her aunt Anne, sister of Earl Henry, who married Richard Nevill Earl of Salisbury, slain at Barnet in 1471. The manor was included in the quitclaim made by the countess of her estates to the Crown in 1487, but apparently possession had been obtained as early as 1479 by Sir George Nevill, descendant through his mother Elizabeth of William Beauchamp Lord Bergavenny, brother of Thomas Earl of Warwick (who died in 1401). In 1513 Sir George Nevill, son of the above-mentioned George, conveyed Hinton to Thomas Lathom, clerk, and others in trust for Sir Thomas Englefield. From Sir Thomas Englefield the manor descended in 1514 to his son Thomas, who died seised of it in 1538. His son Francis in 1546 conveyed the manor to Nicholas Wood and Alan Lee, possibly in trust for Richard Ward, who was making a settlement of it in 1575. It thereafter descended with the manor of Hurst alias Whistley (q.v.) until as late as 1785. It was in 1907 held by Mr. Thomas Colleton Garth, and is now owned by his nephew Captain W. Godsal.
Listed in the Domesday Book: