Lordship Title of Ion ID1153

Title Type:
Previous Lords:
One of the numerous small holdings in Eye in Lower Gravenhurst probably developed into what was known afterwards as the MANOR OF ION, and in the seventeenth century as ION HOUSE. In 1332 Robert de Kirkby of Eye granted to Nicholas, son of Roger de Aspley and Alice his wife, a messuage in Eye, and it may have been this messuage which was left in 1508 by Richard Beauchamp, Lord St. Amand, to his illegitimate son Anthony, who was holding it under the name of Ion manor in 1531. In 1612 Henry Whitehead died seised of land in Eye, and Lysons states that Ion House was sold in 1639 by William Whitehead to William Allen. Elizabeth, daughter of William Allen, married in 1665 John Sabine, who was created a baronet in 1672, and sold the property in that year to Morgan Hinde, of whose family it was purchased in 1724 by the duke of Kent. Ion House is now a farm, and has remained in the Grey family, Lord Lucas and Dingwall being the present owner.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:

of pages