Lordship Title of Meales or Michaels or Sulhamstead ID1558

County:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
Although the name of MIGHEALS or MEALES, derived from the church of St. Michael, has been found as a local name for the whole parish of Sulhamstead Bannister, it was applied generally to the farm or manor of Meales, near the church. It was held under the Achards and Delamares and their successors, Sir William Forster being overlord in the 17th century. In 1484 John son of Robert Kentwood held Meales under the name of Sulhamstead Manor, and it followed the descent of Kentwood Manor in Tilehurst parish (q.v.). It was called the manor of Meales in 1542, and passed to the family of Fettiplace, and thence by the marriage of Anne daughter of Nicholas Fettiplace to Edmund Dunch. His son Sir William Dunch died seised in 1610 of a messuage, lands and tenements called Meales. His heir was his son Edmund, a minor, and Meales appears to have been acquired soon after by the lords of the main manor, since in 1617–18 Sir William Forster died seised of Meales Farm. It was bought in 1775 by William Thoyts, and from that time it has descended with Sulhamstead Bannister.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
No

of pages