Lordship Title of Pangbourne or Pangbourne above Down ID1581

County:
Parish:
Title Type:
Previous Lords:
Before the Norman Conquest PANGBOURNE was divided into two portions. The smaller of these, assessed at 2 hides, was said in the Domesday Survey to have 'belonged to the ferm' in the reign of Edward the Confessor, but later was held by Alwold the Chamberlain. Under William the Conqueror it was again attached to the king's ferm by Froger the sheriff. The larger portion of Pangbourne also belonged to Edward the Confessor, his under-tenant being Baldwin. Miles Crispin held it in 1086, and, like all his lands, it afterwards formed part of the honour of Wallingford. In 1086 one William held it of Miles Crispin. There are no records of Pangbourne for nearly a century, but in 1166 the name of Richer of Pang bourne appears amongst the knights of the honour of Wallingford as holding one knight's fee. In the 13th century Reading Abbey was said to hold Pangbourne in frankalmoign by the gift of Henry I, and between 1190 and 1199 Ellis son of Hereward of Pangbourne granted part of his holding in Pangbourne to William Englefield in the court of the Abbot of Reading. Hence it seems clear that the first holding of 1086 had come to the abbey. Possibly most of the larger holding was also given to the abbey, for there seems to be no other fee in Pangbourne which could represent the whole of this holding. The manor of La Hide, which lay partly in Pangbourne and partly in Purley, may have originated in the hide in Pangbourne held in 1086 under William the tenant of Miles Crispin by a knight, whose descendants possibly were the family of La Hide. This hide may therefore presumably be excluded from the possessions of the abbey. The manor of Pangbourne was held by Reading until the Dissolution, when it came to the Crown. Edward VI appears to have granted it first to the Protector Somerset, and afterwards, in 1550, to the Earl of Warwick, afterwards Duke of Northumberland. After his execution Pangbourne again came to the Crown. It was granted by Queen Elizabeth in 1563 to Thomas Weldon, cofferer of the household, and his son Francis, subject to a lease of twenty-one years made by Queen Mary to Sir Francis Englefield. The latter assigned his lease to Humphrey Burdett, when he fled from England, but the remainder of the lease was taken into the hands of the queen. Francis Weldon sold Pangbourne in 1613 to Sir John Davis, a follower and associate of the Earl of Essex. Davis was present at the taking of Cadiz in 1596, and was there knighted by the earl. In 1600–1 he was implicated in his patron's plot against Queen Elizabeth. He held a post at the Tower, and it was to have been his part to guard the hall in Whitehall Palace so soon as the conspirators had overpowered the queen's guard. The rebellion was betrayed, and Sir John Davis was tried and sentenced to death in 1600–1. He was, however, pardoned, and afterwards settled at Pangbourne. He died in 1625, and the manor passed to his son and heir John, who was still a minor. The second John Davis, who was knighted in 1662, served as a captain with the Royalist army during the Civil War, but obtained leave to retire from the army in 1644, and compounded for his estate with the Parliament. He married twice, his first wife being Anne daughter of Sir John Suckling, and his second wife Susan the daughter of Edward Gansell. He sold the manor in 1671 to John Breedon, who left it by his will (dated 1685) to his nephew, another John Breedon, Sheriff of Berkshire in 1700. The latter died in 1710–11, and was succeeded by his kinsman John Breedon, the son of the Rev. Thomas Breedon, rector of Pangbourne The last-named John died in 1776, and the manor passed to his son John Breedon, M.D. Dr. Breedon died without heirs male, and by his father's will the Rev. John Symonds became the next lord of the manor. He assumed the name of Breedon, and was living at Bere Court in 1803. Before 1821 he was succeeded by another John Symonds Breedon, and in 1847 Edward Augustus Breedon was lord of the manor. He died before 1883, when Mrs. Breedon owned the manor. It was bought from the Breedons by Reginald de la Bere, who sold it in 1904 to Mr. George Booth Tate, the present lord of the manor. The Abbots of Reading presumably held in Pangbourne the very extensive rights that were granted to them by Henry I and the succeeding kings for all their possessions. In the 17th century the lords of the manor exercised the rights of free warren and free fishery, and they also held the view of frankpledge and had the wardships and marriages, escheats, the goods and chattels of felons and waifs and strays that fell to them in the manor.
Other Information:
Listed in the Domesday Book:
Yes

of pages